Lake Gogebic Area

A busy weekend in the Lake Gogebic Area, but we are off to a quiet start to the week, but there is snow in the forecast mid week on Wed, Thurs and Fri. Temperatures are forecasted in the 20’s and low 30’s. Groomers in the Lake Gogebic Area have been out grooming all trails and reporting trails to be in good to excellent condition. Nothing major to report with the exception of 8W toward Wakefield there is an open water hole. Groomers have put in a culvert but extreme caution is recommended. Groomers will be out grooming on a daily basis. For up to date grooming information – download the GroomerTracker App and be sure to join a club where you ride!

jmd

Where is the best spot to access the lake on the south end?
Is the lake rideable from there to Bergland along the west shoreline?
Ice /snow/ slush status?

wiharley02

All the way at the south end you can get on the lake at the Lake Gogebic County Park/Boat Landing. Where Trail 100 crosses M64 at the intersection of M64 and South Shore Road, you take the park access road to the lake. You can go up Trail 1 on the west side of the lake to Gogebic Lodge (bar/restaurant/lodging) and get on the lake from their parking lot. You can go up Trail 13 on the east side of the lake to the Root Cellar (bar/restaurant/lodging) and get on the lake from their parking lot.

Edit: I should add, my preference has always been to run the west side. In my time have never came across ice shoves when running the packed track, when I hear about them they have been on the east side. From the south my tendency is to get on at the boat landing and run west shore all the way up just about to Hoop and Holler bar on the NW corner of the lake, then if I am going to Bergland I turn east to follow the north shore to the park/"get off spot" in Bergland. Just my preference to run the main packed track this way vs cutting across middle of lake. Obviously run the lake at your own risk and always be on top of your game.

SHOOT2KILL

Used to spend new years at Gogebic Lodge every year from around 1983-1990...Alway enjoyed celebrating midnight twice on the lake...Eastern/Central timezone line goes right thru the center of the lake...Eastern midnight at the Hoop...Then ride down to the Lodge (central zone) and do it all over again...

euphoric1

Used to spend new years at Gogebic Lodge every year from around 1983-1990...Alway enjoyed celebrating midnight twice on the lake...Eastern/Central timezone line goes right thru the center of the lake...Eastern midnight at the Hoop...Then ride down to the Lodge (central zone) and do it all over again...
Ditto on that!!

euphoric1

All the way at the south end you can get on the lake at the Lake Gogebic County Park/Boat Landing. Where Trail 100 crosses M64 at the intersection of M64 and South Shore Road, you take the park access road to the lake. You can go up Trail 1 on the west side of the lake to Gogebic Lodge (bar/restaurant/lodging) and get on the lake from their parking lot. You can go up Trail 13 on the east side of the lake to the Root Cellar (bar/restaurant/lodging) and get on the lake from their parking lot.

Edit: I should add, my preference has always been to run the west side. In my time have never came across ice shoves when running the packed track, when I hear about them they have been on the east side. From the south my tendency is to get on at the boat landing and run west shore all the way up just about to Hoop and Holler bar on the NW corner of the lake, then if I am going to Bergland I turn east to follow the north shore to the park/"get off spot" in Bergland. Just my preference to run the main packed track this way vs cutting across middle of lake. Obviously run the lake at your own risk and always be on top of your game.
I agree with wiharley02 200%, stayed on that lake many years and can be fun and fast and very unforgiving at the same time, I would definitely stay on the west side when running it, the only place I ever felt real safe crossing it from west to east or visa versa was between Gogebic lodge and Root cellar. STAY OFF if snowing heavily at night as it is very easy to get disorientated, have run into soft spots on the east side, the southeast end and up near Bergland but the west side will be your best bet! I would recommend asking locals about any heaves or soft areas as we all know the reason for running the great white desert and its always better to be safer than sorry.

Last edited:

Tuck

I have always been told not to go past the Berland landing exit. any truth to that? Did not any mention of that above. As for the south end wasn't there a spot to get on the lake off trail 100 or 101 around the bottom of the lake? This would have been 5-6 years ago or better. Last few years have just used the Lodge or root cellar for access on the south end. Also if on it at night be aware of the ice fish huts usually more on the east side and north end. We prefer the well traveled path on the west side day or night anymore. If you have a gps tracker laying a track down in the daylight makes a return night trip a little more comforting to me.

1fujifilm

Rode down from Krupps on great trails and then took the lake from Bergland on the Northwest side to the Walleye lodge 3 days ago..was smooth.

mspease

I have always been told not to go past the Berland landing exit. any truth to that? Did not any mention of that above. As for the south end wasn't there a spot to get on the lake off trail 100 or 101 around the bottom of the lake? This would have been 5-6 years ago or better. Last few years have just used the Lodge or root cellar for access on the south end. Also if on it at night be aware of the ice fish huts usually more on the east side and north end. We prefer the well traveled path on the west side day or night anymore. If you have a gps tracker laying a track down in the daylight makes a return night trip a little more comforting to me.
Yes, anything past the Bergland landing exit is unsafe ice. You can get on the bottom of the lake from trail 101 and be careful the first 1/2 mile or so as there can be old tree stumps etc. sticking up. Plenty of room, just stay on the path.