Lake of the Clouds UTV?

21368xray

We ride western UP frequently in the winter but have never been up there in the summer/fall. If I wanted to visit lake of the clouds overlook on UTV, is this possible? Obviously road riding? From what I can see on the maps the routes looks spotty. And even ride apps show gaps in trails.

So if someone wanted to ride from lets say Rockland to Lake of the Coulds overlook via UTV is this even possible?

Any added input on UTV trails in the area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Xray

Clara61

It would be a fun day trip.
Obviously road riding? From what I can see on the maps the routes looks spotty. And even ride apps show gaps in trails.So if someone wanted to ride from lets say Rockland to Lake of the Coulds overlook via UTV is this even possible...

goofy600

I was there last Saturday and there were a couple groups heading up there when I saw them they were almost to the guard shack so I can’t tell you there exact route they took but there were people doing it.

2TrakR

I was there last Saturday and there were a couple groups heading up there when I saw them they were almost to the guard shack so I can’t tell you there exact route they took but there were people doing it.

Not a legal way to do it. Does not mean people do not do it, I see 'em break the law all the time.

I wonder about going through Wakefield and going up southboundary road if thats possible? Not sure if atv trail goes from Marenisco to Wakefield or not. Will try and look at map tonight . Rockland- Bergland-Eastshore Rd. To Marenisco-Wakefield?? Should be able to stay off state highways but not sure

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member

But did they make it past the guard shack?

goofy600

But did they make it past the guard shack?

That I do not know, line was long and we were on our way out when I saw them. Better question would be did the person at guard shack give them a ticket when they got to guard shack?

eao

107 is no longer a state highway, its county and ORV is not permitted within the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Park. The park boundary is just out of Silver City so technically the access road is within the Wilderness State Park and I doubt they want ORV's using it. Now there maybe not be enough law enforcement to catch riders but if the County Sheriff or DNR Officer comes upon riders he might take enforcement action. People working in the park are mostly seasonal and may not know about whats legal and not legal orv use.

On June 4, 2008, a transfer agreement was reached transferring the jurisdiction of M-107 from MDOT to the Ontonagon County Road Commission. This transfer marked the end of the M-107 designation as the roadway became a county primary road. The OCRC has named it the "107th Engineers Memorial Highway".[

Seasonal Road Updates
The roads are closed December 1 through late spring. County Road 107 is closed just past the Whitetail parking area and South Boundary Road is closed just past the visitor center and park headquarters. Both of these roads are designated snowmobile trails during snowmobile season and will remain closed until deemed safe to travel by the Ontonagon County Road Commission.

Last edited:
south boundry rd to lake of the clouds

I wonder about going through Wakefield and going up southboundary road if thats possible? Not sure if atv trail goes from Marenisco to Wakefield or not. Will try and look at map tonight . Rockland- Bergland-Eastshore Rd. To Marenisco-Wakefield?? Should be able to stay off state highways but not sure

i was up there a week ago and rode from greenland to marenisco and was wondering if one could get to wakefield then up south boundery rd to lake of the clouds
??????

mrsrunningbear

You can get from Marenisco to Wakefield now, but NO you cannot use south boundary rd or go to Lake in the Clouds. The Porcupine Mountains are a restricted Wilderness area and no UTV/ATV or SxS allowed