Lake Superior Ice cover

Y

yooper99

How is the ice cover on Lake Superior? Looks like a good portion is now covered with ice. Is the lake effect snow over for the season?

sp123

with the wind last night and early this morning i bet there is some open waters again in western lake superior especially. winds up to 55-60. so looks like get some snows off the lake again. im not saying for sure but i bet it is.

bulldog

That's what I was thinking this morning. It almost looks as if the lake effect is back to normal, so those winds must have broke the ice up.

Someone had a link to a satellite image...

A

admin

Those 60 mph winds we had up here in the Keweenaw were just what the Lake Effect Snow Dr ordered. Last week, ice cover in the western lake was high enough to diminish the LES formation significantly.

I just checked the MODIS imagery from yesterday and while there were some clouds obscuring the view some, I saw lots of deep blue water between the northshore of MN and the Keweenaw. There is fast ice all around the Apostle Islands as well as on the shores of the western UP extending out 4-5 miles, but other than that, it looks like the big lake opened wide up again!
proud.gif

-John

PS. bulldog, if you want to ride this week, shoot me an e mail. I have nothing going on all week.

bulldog

Done.

This is just spectacular snow coming down today! A powderlovers dream. You blow your car off with an air hose.

Not as bad out towards Mclains but in town here it is snowing harder than any time all year. How is it up North...? The cam at the air base doesn't look nearly as snowy.

Y

yooper99

Perfect time for the wind to blow out the ice!! 24" of snow in Hancock in 6 hours today....can't been that.