L'anse Baraga area

reiley99

I was wondering why this area gets less snow than everywhere else.It's funning to me because I ride my sled 5 mile any direction and I back in good snow just wondering is there a reason for this.

D

Deleted member 10829

Banana belt

John calls it the banana belt. It's just too far away from the lake to really get any lake effect snow I believe. Bruce Crossing can be the same way. Bergland will have tons of snow and as you head towards BC, the trail can turn to rocks.

reiley99

I quess did I ever move to the wrong spot! It feels like when I go to the movie theatre and I order popcorn with extra butter and the wife tell me no because it's not good for me.Then when I'm sitting I can smell it I know it's all around me I just don't have it.Kidding on the popcorn part but it's how I feel.

whitedust

You will have enough to ride out of town to access the deep stuff. I have the same thing here in Phelps every mile north gets better & better going south forget it no LES.:)

reiley99

Yes I know I went through last winter here I can get to the arvon pretty quick snow plenty deep there.I quess I need to look at the bright side least I don't have to plow my driveway everyday.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
mspease is right. The L'Anse/Baraga area is in a low snow spot due to it's proximity to the lake snow bands. Most of the LES in the UP falls with a west, NW or north wind and the LES bands just do not reach those areas very good when the winds are out of that direction.

Bring in a NNE wind and have the rest of the LES conditions be good and L'Anse/Baraga can get hit pretty good.

-John