Last Weekend Calumet Report

Airman68

Here is my report. I'm from Green Bay area. 3 of us headed up to Calumet last Thursday 2/22. Didnt see much snow at all until we got north of Houghton. Stayed at Trailside, we were the only people there the entire weekend. Thursday, 40F, we headed north and ran out of snow in about 3 miles. Then headed south toward Lake Linden trail 3. Surprisingly was better that way for a while, came back and headed south on 17, was ok too for a while. We ended up putting on 50 miles total for the day however there was a lot of riding on the same trail twice.

Fri 2/23, trailered up to Eagle Harbor area, about 12F. No snow in towns up there at all, bring gas, cant get into towns for anything. Found a parking spot and rode up to Brockway then back south on 3. Fortunately, we found some forest roads, which was the highlight of the weekend, rode about 50 miles total. Saving grace was 2" of LES that morning but it covered up a lot of bare areas from the day before.

In summary... The trails were not good but passable in most cases. Lot's of rocks everywhere. Some no snow areas at all and nothing groomed. Needed scratchers. Pretty much moguls all over. There were good spots, we were over 60mph in some stretches. In general trails were anywhere from a 1 to 7 of 10. We wanted to ride bad, so we made the trip and we were happy about it. If you're looking for spotless trails and high miles, dont bother, you would be disappointed. I would say some snow might save it but I'm guessing the groomers probably wont go back out again, little to no frost in the ground. If it gets warm for any stretch of time, game over.