Leaves Turning?

whitedust

Every year the leaves start to turn during mid August in nothern WI regardless of mositure, sunlight or temperature. What causes this? Solar angles?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It is related to the sun angle, but more accurately something called photo period. Which is the minutes of daylight in a calendar day.

As the minutes of daylight grow less in late summer and early Autumn, that triggers trees to start shutting down their photosynthesis. The chlorophyll that causes the leaves to look green departs the leaves and the other colors present, but overpowered by the green, start to appear.

Things like climate also play a bit of a role, that is the reason why your leaves typically change sooner there to the south of us here in the northern UP, as we are typically a bit milder in early autumn due to the influence of the big lake.

Also trees that are under stress will typically shut down photosynthesis sooner and change colors sooner too, but many times they just turn brown, rather than the yellows, oranges and reds.

-John

cuzzinolaf

John -

Based on this year's summer, when do you except the best time to view the colors this year? I'm planning on the first or second weekend of October as of now but wanted to know if I'm off.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any reason why they would be off from average this year, so that means around the 8th to 12th in my neck of the woods and about 4-8 days earlier for areas a bit further inland and a bit higher up like Twin Lakes.

So I'd say you are right in the best time frame in your planning.

-John

snow_monkey

I don't see any reason why they would be off from average this year, so that means around the 8th to 12th in my neck of the woods and about 4-8 days earlier for areas a bit further inland and a bit higher up like Twin Lakes.

So I'd say you are right in the best time frame in your planning.

-John[/QUOTE
Bring a rake!

mjkaliszak

Too Funny... " Bring a rake "
Unfortunatelty that is not a laughing matter. I thought I was getting sick of mowing the lawn ! well leaves are another story all together.

snow_monkey

Too Funny... " Bring a rake "
Unfortunatelty that is not a laughing matter. I thought I was getting sick of mowing the lawn ! well leaves are another story all together.

X'2 getting ready to do battle. Many elms, maples, locust, and others getting ready to blanket my yard in a foot of leaves!