Left hand throttle, lost right thumb

blvette

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a replacement throttle. My father lost a most of his thumb this past summer. We need to figure out a solution. Has anyone had any experience with something like this. Thansk for all your help. Rides arctic cat by the way

junior1

left hand throttle is very common part alot of mountain riders put them on their sleds dennis kirk has a couple different ones in the book

briano

twist throttle like a bike. or flip throttle to the front of the bars and use it with your fingers

Firecatguy

one of the guys I ride with has no thumb and for years he just turns the throttle backwards and pulls the throttle works great he has no problem..

doo_dr

I've made a few sleds and motorcycles for amps. The thing that you have to do is work with the person to find thier strengths and weaknesses. The key is to find out how the rest of the digits work and how coordinated they are. The best is to use a short flapper throttle on the right side (turned around on the bar) so they still have full control of the brake. This requires the person to be able to work two fingers while gripping with the remaining two fingers. This is tougher than you may think!!! I don't recommend a twist grip unless he has very strong wrist muscles. The twisting of the throttle puts your wrist behind the handle bar instead of on top/above the bar. This puts your wrist in jeopardy of injury and makes it harder to turn. I also do not think there is a cable to accomadate a twist grip. I have put a left hand throttle assembly on the right side bar for one person and that worked well. It really is a trial and error thing. Just make sure you keep trips short at first so the error isn't out on the trail but rather a sore muscle from trying different set ups.

blvette

update bought a 2002 pantera 550 what is a good option for this sled, can I we just turn the throttle around or another idea maybe thanks

handiman

I'd just make sure you have enough slack for the electical, loosen the bolts for the throttle assembly and spin it around. Have him see how it feels and go from there. Of course the kill switch and warmer will be in the wrong spots, but it'll all still work.