LES on radar?

snow_chaser

Wasn't sure to post this here or in Ask John. But, anyways, I know the Huron mtns. interfere with radar returns in the Keweenaw. What radar(can you provide link) is best for viewing precip. in this area? My main focus is tracking bands of LES coming off of L.Superior. I will include a specific area,or two, for precision and to avoid confusion. Let's say, Houghton, and Lac la Belle. Thank you.
Eric

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't any good one. The only radar in the area is that in the Marquette area and it is blocked out by some hills just to the northwest of the radar site (actually not the Huron Mountains that does the blocking).

-John

frnash

Attachments

• Radar.JPG
    Radar.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 21

frnash

This link shows the radar coverage from TBay. Though the coverage shows Keew, its to great a distance, esp for LES. I believe your pic is a combination of 2 radars and the images seen are actually picked up the from Montreal River station, just N of the Soo
Good call, chords, probably very true. It looks like the distance from the Thunder Bay radar site to most of the Keweenaw is about 200km (125 miles).