LES Today

blkhwkbob

I'm watching a radar animation, and there is LES hitting the eastern UP and northern west LP from a definite NW wind. That wind certainly looks like it should be giving LES to the area between Silver City and the Keewanaw, but no bands are showing. Is there a reason for this? Not enough water surface? The size of Lake Michigan northwest of the LP seems about the same as the size of Superior west and north of say Mass City, so that doesn't look like it should matter?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
LES happens at very low levels in the atmosphere.

Because of the curvature of the earths surface, the radar beam will tend to overshoot much of the LES activity. Also, there are some hills just off to the NW of the radar antenna (not the Huron Mtns as most folks think) that can block the signal into the lower levels of the atmosphere.

So the bottom line is the radar in Marquette does not pick up the LES over most of the western UP.

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
john you mentioned possible se wind could east side of keeweenaw get some for the gay trail this weekend

No, it would have to be an E or ESE wind, but not SE. Not enough fetch to generate LES.

I have not been to the Gay area, but I would suspect that they are getting at least some LES out of this, maybe not 3-6" every 24 hours like the rest of us, but even 1-3 adds up over 3-4 days. Plus system/LES for later Thur into Fri should hit them about the same as most areas. So there is some hope for them.

-John