Les?

snocrazy

I know the big lake is pretty locked up with snow. You stated in our journal that LES was pretty much done for.
What is happening now sure looks like LES forming over the lake.
Is this just remnants of the clipper still passing thru? Did the winds today shove the ice and create open water?

2-24-2015 5-17-35 PM.jpg

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It does look like it, but it is snow associated with the next arctic front (yea!). We picked up a couple of quick inches this afternoon as the front came through, then the temps dropped from 23 at noon to 4 right now and still dropping.

I did get a good look at the lake today and still pretty much locked up. There is some opening up on the far west end, but this next arctic surge should take care of that nicely. :(

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, it looks like there are some streamers that are forming from the open water along the north shore of Superior and drifting south. They peter out about mid-lake, but then get reinvigorated by some streamers forming from a small pocket of water just east of the Keweenaw that are heading SE. Pretty unique, I don't believe I have ever seen this happen before. At least on such a small scale.

-John