Living in a travel trailer

maddogg

Hello,

The wife and I are building a house. Due to having 2 kids, 2 dogs, and two cats its really hard to find a short-term apartment. We were thinking of buying a travel trailer and living in it over the summer at a campground with full hookups. While it's going to be a patience tester and will suck without all of our stuff - does anyone have any suggestions? We've already done the pro and con list.
Thanks,
MD

mezz

It sounds reasonable, not to mention an adventure. In all reality, probably the least expensive in the long run. Considering most leases are at least a year, plus you can recoup most of your cost when you sell the trailer. To me, a worth while consideration. Just my 02.-Mezz

600_RMK_144

Very, very challenging I would think. We just built a house --- Wife and two kids. Lived in an apartment for 8 months and nearly didn't survive the event. No wi-fi / internet + no cable the entire 8 months. It was brutal in an apartment. Can't imagine how it would be in a trailer. Good luck!!!!

mrbb

I think a lot will come down to what everyone's idea of fun is , if all are outdoor oriented like minded, and enjoy doing things outdoors, don't mind the bugs and others so close
then I think it could be a memory to have that all can enjoy down the road

But if everyone is big on modern conveniences, then I think it will lead to a lot of fighting and maybe getting kicked out of camp grounds! HAHA!
so it will really come down to what all THINK about the idea and not just maybe you?
also HOW Long is the expected build, and I would plan for it NOT to be done on time, far too often there never on time , too many THINGS seem to happen from weather to workers not getting done as expected!

sweeperguy

When I was a kid. We (family of 5) spent summers in a travel trailer. My Dad worked (welder) high pressure gas main. We would set up in a campground, so for us kids it was like camping all summer. However that was 3ish months or so.
Longer than that might be taxing. For instance fridge and freezer space limited, makes for lots of grocery runs.
If setting up on build site, not a lot of recreational activities for kids would make it tough.
As stated above, most construction jobs go over time schedule, this needs to be thought about. Wi winter weather in a trailer would not be good. Most not insulated well enough, even though has heat.
If a modular home construction may be able to come in on time since most work is done in factory and set up time is very short.
I would further look into renting, maybe in a trailer park. Should be something avail. How short term are you looking just final couple months of construction or whole project?

maddogg

We're looking at living there August through mid October. If it really gets delayed we'll have to rent a place in a pinch. Probably an extended stay. We're going to a campground, so there will be plenty of stuff to do for the kids.

T

Tracker

i say go for it.....we did....and heres how we added some fun for kiddies....1st...outside trailer on a pallet....a refridgerator.....a mini bike....a 4 wheeled bike and a 3 wheeled bike and each a regular bike as well....fishing poles.....and a ski boat....bought used in iowa was used on Mississippi river was a 21.5 foot glastron with 305 for 2300 bucks....best summer ever...hands down...so much so we now have a resort with cabins...went one up from a trailer....it am gonna be funski...O.....and many board games...almost every nite or a fire....good luck

maddogg

Just an update. We sold out home and the new one should be completed by Nov. 1 if not sooner. Moved into a 27 footer and honestly, its not half bad. The kids love it and its just an inconvenience is all. Like showering and using the toilet. The items we miss the most are the garage and washer/dryer.

garyl62

Thanks for the update, glad to hear "its not half bad" How tough was it finding a TT to buy, and do you intend to sell it when the house is done?

Last edited:

maddogg

It was kind of difficult to find a "decent" trailer. There's either the high end ones, or the garbage that nobody wants and its priced at $1M. I kept an eye out on RV trader and ended up buying one for $4K. The only reason it was so cheap was that its dented horribly in the back from hail. Doesn't leak, just ugly is all. It s 2000. I ended up redoing the brakes, new tires, some plumbing and electrical, new mattresses and a ton of cleaning and bleaching. Just made sure everything works.

I do plan to sell it when the house is done. Should be by November. Now that we've lived in it, the family is kind of tired of it lol.