Locktite or similar on bearing?

bobmath

Am replacing the bearing on the "jack shaft" ( speedo side) Arctic Cat 600. A friend suggested using something like locktite or similar, as well as setting the bearing with the locking collar with a center punch, in the hole provided, as well as tightening the allen screw. Do any of you recommend doing this, or is it overkill

doomsman

I think your friend was telling you to tighten the lock collar by spinning it on the shoulder. Hold the punch at an angle and tap it tight, then tighten the set screw.
A little blue locktite on the set screw won't hurt.

zimmbob

ah, that makes more sense doomsman. i was confused at why you'd put locktite on the bearing??? but i'm dense sometimes...

bobmath

bearing placement

What determines placement, (or where exactly) does the bearing sit on the shaft?

Attachments

• DSC01217.jpg
    DSC01217.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 30

Tito

What determines placement, (or where exactly) does the bearing sit on the shaft?
Put everything together lock collar loose. Tighten the chain side gears and make sure it pushed against the bearing flange and have a straight top and bottom gear line up. Then tighten the speedo side lock collar it comes out where it comes out. Then go back and recheck the gear side that it hasnt moved. It helps if you dont have the chain on when check gear align. Hacksaw blade is fairly straight edge and fit inside the case

doomsman

OK thats the drive shaft not the jack shaft and you should have measured the location of the old one. All is not lost put the inside collar and bearing clamp ring on put the drive shaft in without the track and locate the bearing so you don't have to flex the tunnel to bolt up.
Hope that is clear for you.
GOOD LUCK