Log home chinking and staining?

gator800r

Hi there John, I just purchased a log home just south of L'Anse and it is 8 years old so I was going to have it re chinked and stained. Im not sure if I want to do it my self or pay someone to do it. My question for you is do you know any one who does chinking and staining and if so could you please put me in contact with them. How much would I be in for if I decided to talkle the job myself? Not sure if you have any knowledge on log homes but thought it doesn't hurt to ask. I figured you may know someone that does if not.

A

admin

gator800r-

Sorry, but I do not have any experience with chinking or staining log homes. Not yet anyway, we will have to stain the log home once it is built and plan to stain the cabin and shop this summer.

I do not know of anyone that does chinking up here either. Our log home will be Scandinavian Full Scribe, so no chinking is needed.

Sorry.

-John

gator800r

Just curious, when you are done building your log home what are your plans for your cabin? are we going to see a John and Nora bed and breakfast? or do you just plan on using it as a guest house.

hotwire

gator800r, I got a price to strip and stain our log house by a pro.......$8,000.00 ouch, may have to teach the wife how to use a heat gun and scraper. LOL

islandscout

My Log cabin neighbors up north did their own chinking, staining and prep work. This was approx 4 years ago. I think they saved $10,000 in cost by doing it themselves.

It looked like a lot of work.

They first covered the whole cabin with some kind of insecticide. Than a couple coats of stain. This was all done by airless sprayer and paint brush in hand. They spent a lot of time on ladders.

Next was some flexible looking Styrofoam product that was pushed up into the chinking area. Than the chinking itself. The pictures are before the final chinking.

The last thing was a few coats of poly.

It took them a long time to do this. But their log cabin is wonderful.

79347.jpg

79348.jpg