Log Home

farmermark

John,

I know you have mentioned building a log home soon and I am planning on building this fall. I have some questions for you. Are you planning on buying a kit or use local timber, air dry and build old style? I hear so many different opinions on air dried vs, kiln along with settling and cracking issues. I am also considering stick building with half log siding inside and out for greater r-values but there are arguments about thermal mass and what not.

Any ideas or opinions in your research would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark.

Actually, I have been planning on talking about this more in the journal, but we have changed plans a bit. Instead of building a separate log home to become our main home for the rest of our lives, we are going to add on to the existing structure. As much as I have always wanted to live in a log home in the deep woods of the Keweenaw, the thought of having two houses (one which would sit unoccupied for about 90% of the year) to heat, maintain and pay taxes on just does not make sense. So Nora and I both think the best thing to do is to add onto the current building and we plan to put the foundation in this autumn and then build the structure in spring and summer of 2013.

With that said, we were planning on using full logs and use the Scandinavian full scribe method of building. In my research as well as experience with wood working, I would say that air dried would hold a slightly better advantage as you are allowing the log to dry more slowly and adjust to the stresses of that drying better. However, that leaves you with a slower drying process and more settling in the first few years of the structure. I never saw that as a problem as you have to build to accommodate settling anyway. So what's the difference if you build to handle an inch or two over 10 feet vs. 1/2 to 1 inch over the 10 foot wall?

The idea of using stick with half log is pretty good- especially when it comes to insulation as well as running things like HVAC, plumbing and electrical. I think there are even systems where you stick build, but end up with log siding on both the interior and exterior.

I guess it all boils down to what is most important to you like authentic vs. performance vs. looks vs. design.

Good luck!

-John

farmermark

John,

Thanks for your opinion. The Scandinavian full scribe allows the joint to become tighter as the log settles, correct? You would also be chinking, for sealing and or asthetics?

Do you have a source yet for the logs? And how do you plan on placing logs? I am leaning towards precut or half log just because of time to build and lack of expertise in building. I do have all the toys...skid steer and excavator to help handle logs, so if I can find a craftsmen that would be a big plus.

Also if anyone out there has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark.

I think there was some misunderstanding. We are not going to be building a log home, just adding on to our current home using conventional construction.

If we were to go log with the Scandinavian full scribe, then we were not going to use chinking. It's not needed or even recommended using that building method. The joints between each course of log tightens as the logs settle and dry.

I would imagine it would not be too hard to find a craftsman. It's really not that hard. You can check out my June 5th, 2006 journal entry about a class I took up here where we ended up building a 3 log corner in about 4 hours. The logs were much shorter than you would use for a home, but we all got the idea of how to build a log wall in just a day. I know there used to be a several week class in MN where you end up building a small log building and by the time you graduate, you are knowledgeable enough to build your own.

-John

farmermark

John,

Sorry about that I read it too fast, a bad habit, and after rereading it I see what you said.

Thanks for the input, but running a farm by myself doesn't leave much time, so hiring help is a must.

Have you considered putting log siding on your current home and build the expansion out of logs? I was at a log home tour this last weekend and I see many houses are built with full logs on main floor and garages and second levels are log siding over stick. Looks very authentic. However none were scribed, all machine formed with various finishes and machine cut corners.

Thanks again and when are summer forecasts starting?

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty difficult to join a log build structure to a conventional framed one due to the settling. It can be done, but primarily with a breezeway and that is not the look I want to have.

I have thought about putting log siding on both the addition and current building, but am going to go with a more traditional siding.

I plan to start up summer forecasts next week.

-John