Looking to buy a track for a 1976 John Deere Cyclone/Liquifire 440

Sledhead'sMom

My son bought his first sled, a 1976 John Deere Cyclone 440, but the track is in bad shape and has lost a bunch of cleats. We just got a lot of fresh snow, and now he cannot ride!

We would prefer a track with riveted two-third cleats. These tracks were replacements for the full cleat tracks that the 1976 Cyclone/Liquifires originally came with.

Anyway, please let me know what you have and help my son get back on his sled! :biggrin:

skiroule

Only advice I have is probably something you’re already doing, which is putting feelers out on every John Deere snowmobile internet group/web page and other vintage sled pages/sites in general. Lots of times people have this stuff but just don’t actively advertise it. It may take time but sometimes you just get lucky and something comes out of nowhere in just a couple of days.

In my opinion the 76 -78 Cyclone/Liquifire sleds were the coolest John Deere sleds ever built (I have a 76 Cyclone myself). Even with the short run of this chassis, they sold pretty well in the Midwest, particularly in Wisconsin, which could work in your favor for finding something relatively close that you can use.

Good luck in your search and hopefully your son will get it back on the snow sooner than later.

Sledhead'sMom

Thanks for the advice!

Good suggestion! I have a lead on a track through the VintageSleds.com site.

My son was happy to see your comments on the Cyclones/Liquifires. He really likes his sled and the way it rides. Hopefully he will have some good luck with it once we get that "new" track on it!

skiroule

Excellent! Hopefully it will work out and the fun can begin (some assembly required).

If you don't already have one, I would recommend downloading this free Cyclone/Liquifire service manual. It's very comprehensive (about 260 pages) and I think you'll find it useful. These sleds are built like tanks mechanically and the manual provides a lot of good disassembly/reassembly instructions/photos.

http://www.vintagesnow.com/John_Deere_files/1976_cyclone_SM.pdf