looking to buy used sled

smitty440

I have not owned a sled for the past 4 years now and have been renting since then. I'm planning on buying one in the next few weeks. I'm looking at either a renegade or a crossfire. I was hoping people could give the pros and cons of each sled. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

whitedust

List the year & engine size used sled you are looking at & you will get good info. Many years of renegades & crossfires out there.

ezra

if looking at xfire 7 great power plant but no reverse. if you get a early build they have a small cooler so with low snow you could have heating issues but that is usualy just bare ice kind of thing.the thing to look 4 on the xfire with out the dimples stamped in to the tunnel is bent tunnels.look just under suspension mount 4 kinks and look behind muffler 4 breaks or kinks.It is not common but if a kid has been clearing driveways and other big air things it can happen.the diamond drive in the 06 is the best of the bunch but no reverse kinda sucks but some of the reverse dimond drives on 07 and up have issues if not maintained.

G

G

The 600 SDI is good. An Arctic could be good also. Ride each if you can before you pull the trigger.

mn_mxz

I was trying to decide between the same sleds before last season, I went with a Renegade. Both are good sleds, for me it came down to rider position, I like the Rev chassis better. I think that the biggest differences between the sleds are that the crossfire has an adjustable ski stance and no reverse. I you do choose a crossfire, I personal would consider a 700, I here that the 600 can feel a little doggy. I think that you would be happy with either sled, just get what seems to fit you best. Good Luck.

dab102999

How tall are you???...don't know what price range you are looking at but if I went doo I think I would go the new rev chassis. My wife has a 07 and I just don't feel comfortable on it. Short rides of 100 miles or less aint back but a good long day and I feel it. Don't know much bout cats but for a good long time those mountain guys sure liked them.

mride460

I'm looking for an 06-07. Engine size 600.

Rode them both..

The gade is a much better sled for trail riding due to the rider position on the Rev platform. I'm 6'3" and the rev doesn't bother my knees. The 600HO or the 600SDI are both great engines.
The crossfire is a nicer off trail machine (still not a M or summit) than the gade because of the adjustable ski stance, but not as nimble in the corners on the trail. The engine to go with on the crossfire is the 700 or bigger. Cats 600 with the longer track is a dog.
Both are good riders on bumpy straight trails due to the longer track, but the rev is just hands down easier to go faster through the curves and turns.
Good luck with your search and I hope my $.02 helps...

saber

I ride a 05 Renegade 600SDI and I have a friend that has a 06 Crossfire 700, here is my take on this:

The Renegade is a better trail sled as stated above, it simply is a better ride over the bumps and such, it does sit a little higher like a dirt bike.

The Crossfire sits a little lower and does corner better because of a lower center of gravity, it is a blast on a Sunday morning after the trails were groomed. The seating position is very much like a quad. I also like it better off trail due to it being easier to carve and side hill. Seems to protect the rider a little better from snow over the hood (for all the times that we get that much here in lower Mi!!!)

The Crossfire has a better guage set up and better wind protection, but it is prone to running hot due to the small cooler as mentioned above also m(early build 2006). I would definetly buy a set of scratchers. I have never had a problem with the Renegade running hot.

The Renegade gets waaaay better mpg and goes thru almost half the injection oil, but I would take that as a trade off for the power of the 700 anyday as it is a blast to ride.

Both have very good and dependable motors and are good choices. From what I have seen pricewise the Crossfires can be found cheaper based on year/mileage than the Renegades.

It could come down to which brand your local dealer services.

I love my Renegade, prefer it over the Crossfire due to the seating position, but would love to figure out how to put that Cat 700 motor in it!

I will be in the market next year to add another sled to the fleet, wanted to do it this year but could not swing it. I will shop for eithere a Crossfire or Renegade and will buy the best deal I can find. But if it comes down to apples to apples I will buy the Renegade again!

mride460

I ride a 05 Renegade 600SDI and I have a friend that has a 06 Crossfire 700, here is my take on this:

The Renegade is a better trail sled as stated above, it simply is a better ride over the bumps and such, it does sit a little higher like a dirt bike.

The Crossfire sits a little lower and does corner better because of a lower center of gravity, it is a blast on a Sunday morning after the trails were groomed. The seating position is very much like a quad. I also like it better off trail due to it being easier to carve and side hill. Seems to protect the rider a little better from snow over the hood (for all the times that we get that much here in lower Mi!!!)

The Crossfire has a better guage set up and better wind protection, but it is prone to running hot due to the small cooler as mentioned above also m(early build 2006). I would definetly buy a set of scratchers. I have never had a problem with the Renegade running hot.

The Renegade gets waaaay better mpg and goes thru almost half the injection oil, but I would take that as a trade off for the power of the 700 anyday as it is a blast to ride.

Both have very good and dependable motors and are good choices. From what I have seen pricewise the Crossfires can be found cheaper based on year/mileage than the Renegades.

It could come down to which brand your local dealer services.

I love my Renegade, prefer it over the Crossfire due to the seating position, but would love to figure out how to put that Cat 700 motor in it!

I will be in the market next year to add another sled to the fleet, wanted to do it this year but could not swing it. I will shop for eithere a Crossfire or Renegade and will buy the best deal I can find. But if it comes down to apples to apples I will buy the Renegade again!

I agree 100%. I just feel the gade runs the twisters better because of the rider position. I'm 6'3" and the gade seems to have a taller seat and is easier for a bigger guy to ride and transition from sitting to standing.

smitty440

Thanks for all the responses. I found a Polaris Dragon 700 for sale anybody have any problems with it? Its the 121.

mride460

My buddy bought one new, rode it for about 5000 miles.
Had no major complaints. Good running motor.
Better on gas & oil than the 700 cat but not as good as an 800 doo..

felonious_rider

Polaris 700

Stay away from the 800's, I have one, they run great when they're not burning up. 2 if my riding partners have them, 121 and 136 and had no problems. AC and Doo put out good sleds too, try them all like everyone said,,good bud@!

indy_500

Thanks for all the responses. I found a Polaris Dragon 700 for sale anybody have any problems with it? Its the 121.

what year? stay away from the 07 as it was the first year and it had a few problems, 08's were a little better