Low snowfall this year.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10829
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10829

Hey John,

First of all, I hope you are recovering and feeling better! Nasty injury for sure.

I'm sure we have had years like this in the past, but how does this year compare for snow totals in the UP? You sure haven't had to use up your colors on the forecast maps this year! :) I know it can snow a ton in March and even April, but this year has really been an up and down one for us snow lovers.

sweeperguy

Started with a bang.
Early January was reading people were talking of possible record breaking year.
Then snow drought for 6ish weeks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
sweeperguy is spot on.

Believe it or not, we are very near where we should be for an average year. 246" reported for Keweenaw County so far. The big story this year is the tons of snow early and the lack of snow in the past 5-6 weeks.

-John

euphoric1

Same here too, thought I had heard we are near our average, started almost 2 months too early and then fell a few inches at a time which whether you rely on winter for play or work did no one any favors, wish one of these years we would just get an old fashioned winter like we used to get. uuuugh

old abe

Yes it is very disappointing as of the last 6 weeks. Largest snowfall down here, Halloween! Go figure, eh?

D

Deleted member 10829

sweeperguy is spot on.

Believe it or not, we are very near where we should be for an average year. 246" reported for Keweenaw County so far. The big story this year is the tons of snow early and the lack of snow in the past 5-6 weeks.

-John

That 246" total surprises me. What about the Western UP? I read where the Gogebic area is "only" at 140" so far. Only, what I wouldn't give for "only" half of 140" down here. :)

wirev

That 246" total surprises me. What about the Western UP? I read where the Gogebic area is "only" at 140" so far. Only, what I wouldn't give for "only" half of 140" down here. :)

If that number for western U.P. was taken @ Ironwood, that's about their average or just a little more.

D

Deleted member 10829

If that number for western U.P. was taken @ Ironwood, that's about their average or just a little more.

No, this was for the Lake Gogebic area and it was just a trail report where he said the average annual snowfall for that area is 210". I have not researched that, just going by his report.

wirev

No, this was for the Lake Gogebic area and it was just a trail report where he said the average annual snowfall for that area is 210". I have not researched that, just going by his report.

Used to live in Bergland back in the early 90's and that is about right.