Marathon County Trails

jr37

Northwest is OK. Obviously if you head north the trails will be better. If you travel the NW make sure you are watching for early season hazards, such as open water and rough fields. Overall trails are good, with a few rough spots and a few problem creeks. Nothing that would keep you from riding.

snowshoe

Hoping jr37 or someone familiar with Marathon would recommend a good loop to take this Friday. No school on Friday for my 10 yr old and looking at the extended forecast seems like it might be the last shot. Coming up from Rapids and looking at west of the river. Years ago I dropped at the Edgar truck stop if I did that again what would be a good loop. Open to other spots to drop and places to see as well. My son has no problem putting miles on all day.

hamburgchf

this is our clubs trails north from Edgar, a nice loop from there will take north thru Medford then north and east to Timms Hill and back thru Spirit Lake area, and back to Edgar, around 150 miles and a very nice ride. Also a very nice restaurant at the bottom of Timms Hil[ called the Hill of Beans.

Last edited:

pfeifest

Hoping jr37 or someone familiar with Marathon would recommend a good loop to take this Friday. No school on Friday for my 10 yr old and looking at the extended forecast seems like it might be the last shot. Coming up from Rapids and looking at west of the river. Years ago I dropped at the Edgar truck stop if I did that again what would be a good loop. Open to other spots to drop and places to see as well. My son has no problem putting miles on all day.

You are looking at the right area. As a general rule the NW quadrant of Marathon is downright good... everybody thinks there isn't enough snow so traffic is light and 90% of the trails are good/excellent.

If I was you, I would forget Edgar and drop at number 24 on the map (Walmart/Weilers in Marshfield):
http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/Portals/0/Departments/PKS/Documents/MAP_SnowmobileTrails.pdf

I'd take 23 north until you get north of Hwy 29... that Abbotsford, Athens, Dorcester area was beautiful. Don't go in Clark or Taylor counties... trails were thin, bumpy, and a lot of dirt there. Stay away from Medford. Only other area to stay away from... look at the map and draw a triangle from Stratford up to the blue 20 sign that is to the left of Edgar... and then draw a line over to Edgar. Stay out of that area if possible. East and West of there is both good.

That is what they are like currently. If we get 2-4" on Tuesday I wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere. But I'd still stay out of Clark County if possible.

jr37

snowshoe, I think that the advice from hamburgchf is going to be about as good of advice as you will get from this area. He is one of our main groomer operators, he rides a lot more than me, he recently rode the area that he recommended, and he is my dad.

If you come this way the Edgar Truck Stop is always a good dropping point. You could also drop at our clubs shed, about 4 miles north of the truck stop. Or you can use my place for your starting point. I am between Marathon and Mosinee, PM me if interested.

I agree this may be your last shot, but a few inches tomorrow may give us another week or so.

pfeifest

As I'm sure you are aware we got hardly any snow from this storm. It's supposed to get windy so I imagine conditions will vary between clubs depending on whether they groom after the winds die down.

I'll be going Friday/Saturday in the areas I posted, but I fully expect that will be it for this year.

upbarleyboy

Put 130 miles on on Saturday. The morning was great (we had 80 miles on by noon) thinking things would fall apart fast in the
afternoon, and boy did they ever. Going out in the morning, the Mountain Bay was great, coming back in the afternoon we had to
run the ditch as the grade was gravel. I know we didn't have much base to work with here, but can't believe in just a few hours
how quick things turned. All in all a good season considering it was a late start. Kudos to the trail prep crews on doing an awesome
job with what little they had to work with this year. Now time to dig the Harley out!!