Mass City to almost Copper Harbor

Kmrobb

Put on 150 yesterday. Dropped in Mass, and rode to within 15 miles of Copper Harbor before turning around. Trails were great south of Calumet. I will attach some beautiful scenery of the bridges north of Mass, and the wet snow near Toivola once I get them off my go pro.

paulk

Not so good north of calumet? We are thinking about heading up that way today or tomorrow. I haven't heard anything for reports north of houghton.

n994rv

We rode to the Vansville bar and tried to head to Copper, too. Turned around after 10 miles north of Vansville due to trail conditions. There were a lot of trees down due to last weeks storm and the trails have not been groomed. However as we were heading back south we ran into the groomer. It appeared he was panning and removing the trees from trail, so conditions should be better.

We rode trail 3 up from twin lakes and came back on 17 through calumet and Hancock. Trails were fair with a lot of rocks but the further south you went the better the snow got. Oh and by the way, the mats on the bridge are not down. Trail 3 from houghton to twin lakes was very good and groomed.

Safe riding.

paulk

Thank you for the report. We are based out of mass city and looking to expand the riding area today or tomorrow. Sounds like north of the bridge isn't great. Houghton to mass is good but south of here needs snow. Anyone been over towards sidnaw?

lofsfire

Thanks for the updates, please keep them comming! I'm heading up to Running Bear on Thursday (8 hr drive) probably will not ride till Friday... Do you think we will be able to leave right from there, or will we need to trailer to Mass City?

Kmrobb

Not familiar with Running bear. But last weekend Rockland was just too rocky... Anything south of Houghton was great.

dekx

I appreciate the update. Was gonna head up but Ill hold off as the "big storm" isnt going to be as big now. Thanks!

lofsfire

Running Bear is located in Paulding, South of Rockland, in between Watersmeet and Bruce Crossing.

So are you saying the sweet spot is south of Houghton but north of Rockland?

Not familiar with Running bear. But last weekend Rockland was just too rocky... Anything south of Houghton was great.

wrestleruiu

Much for new snow last night? Debating on a trip up this weekend. We usually stay in Houghton. I have heard trails are better south?

snipes517

I have been up north of houghton since Sunday, trail are in fair to good I would say, some short stretches on thin snow with some small section of small rocks (just go slow and maneuver at rough them) vansville to copper is pretty good bumpy but good, then from the north lac la belle trail to copper is great, today I've rode ever trail north of the bridge except the trails to Gay and they were the best today I would rate 7.5-8 out of ten for everything I've been on, went south to the mosquito yesterday and with the exception of 1/2-1 mile out of houghton it was fantastic, more snow and go as fast as you wanted, I'm on a ,16' XRS so to some people the bumps/whoops north of vansville may be "bad" but in my opinion it's no reason to avoid going north.

wrestleruiu

I have been up north of houghton since Sunday, trail are in fair to good I would say, some short stretches on thin snow with some small section of small rocks (just go slow and maneuver at rough them) vansville to copper is pretty good bumpy but good, then from the north lac la belle trail to copper is great, today I've rode ever trail north of the bridge except the trails to Gay and they were the best today I would rate 7.5-8 out of ten for everything I've been on, went south to the mosquito yesterday and with the exception of 1/2-1 mile out of houghton it was fantastic, more snow and go as fast as you wanted, I'm on a ,16' XRS so to some people the bumps/whoops north of vansville may be "bad" but in my opinion it's no reason to avoid going north.

Thank you very much snipes 517. That made it sound like a good reason to make a trip north. Thanks.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have wanted to post something, but since I have not actually been out on the trails, only seen them from the road crossings, I held off. Thanks snipes517, you confirmed what I was hoping that most areas are OK (like that on the Trail Cam 2), with some thin spots. Wishing for snow, but looks like this winter is going to be like Burgess Meridith says in Grumpy Old Men: "You can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first!"

For what it is worth, Gracie and I had a blast tooling around our property this afternoon! One thing is for sure, while she has not broken anything yet, we are going to put the rule of "You break it, you pay for it" in place real quick! What a fearless rider! :eek:

-John

-John

lofsfire

Well we end up riding from Paulding to Rockland yesterday. Tail 3 between Bruce Crossing and Rockland had some mud holes, between Bruce Crossing and Paulding was much better. Today we left Paulding, headed to Sidna then to around to Greenland and Rockland. Trails were better. The farther west seemed to have more cover. Either way riding is still available, just need to take your time in some spots.