MC trip to Michigan UP Early August

catguy

I'm just looking for pointers on things to do/see/stop at, roads to try to run for a bike trip I'm planning for 3-4 couples. Several of us have snowmobiled in the area and are pretty familiar with the Gogebic area, as that has always been our home base for sled trips. I have ridden sled to copper harbor and back once. Looking to head up from the Mpls area to bayfield 1st day, check out Tom's Burned down Café on Madeline Island, and probably will have to stay in Ashland for 1st night as everything in Bayfield is looking full. After that just a loose plan to head into the UP, swing by the Konteka (one of our regular sled stops), and on up until we decide we've had enough, would like to make it to Houghton for sure, but Copper harbor would really be cool to get to. We've got a total of 4 days to get from Mpls, UP, and back home. Harley riders, I'd ride all day if they let me, but we'll be taking it easy and enjoying the trip and the sights, etc. Don't want to do much riding in the evening, I'd guess the deer are thick up there--

Is there much night life in Houghton in the summer?

I did see the recent post titled "kinda favorite roads", and I am looking into those, that's pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

90s

The Delta Diner in downtown Delta is a popular biker stop (SE of Iron River), also Valhalla View Pub & Grub. Both have very good food. I ride a lot in this area, and the just about any road West of Newberry. Have a good ride.

snowdance

H58 198 Curves 50 miles

We did an eastern UP tour a last year that was fantastic. I realize you're looking to do the Western UP, but if you get a chance to head East a bit you need to hit H-58 (Hurricane Highway). This goes between Munising and Grand Marais and has been called the Tail of the dragon of the UP. 198 curves in 50 miles and goes along the pictured rocks lakeshore. Here's a link to the thread where we were planning our trip...

http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?40988-H58-198-Curves-50-miles&referrerid=10491

Firecatguy

We did an eastern UP tour a last year that was fantastic. I realize you're looking to do the Western UP, but if you get a chance to head East a bit you need to hit H-58 (Hurricane Highway). This goes between Munising and Grand Marais and has been called the Tail of the dragon of the UP. 198 curves in 50 miles and goes along the pictured rocks lakeshore. Here's a link to the thread where we were planning our trip...

http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?40988-H58-198-Curves-50-miles&referrerid=10491

had a bike break down in Grand maris 3 weeks ago,ran to get a uhaul we got to take h58 3 times......great time when we get to ride that rd...last 3 years it was light rain but this year was sunny all 3 times then rain hit.....great rd