MI FI Internet Service did you test it if so How did that work?

gogebictodd

Hi John,

Recall you possibly testing a new service. I ask becuz, the service up at Lake G(wi fi) although works well and resonably fast, increased there price by 30% to $44.50/mo. Just to much for the limited amount I use it. I am going to get HOT SPOT Mi Fi through
my cell carrier verizon. I contacted them and they stated it should work fine up there. We shall see. It would be 3 or 4 g depending upon the phone I have this spring(may upgrade to a I phone 4 G) since I have had many problems with the droid.

Todd

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It has worked out great. Speed is very fast and reliable. I did have problems with the unit going into a mode where it kept reboot itself over and over and became inoperable. However, I took it in and was told that these units (as well as all smart phones) should be completely powered off and then back on at least once a week. This will keep it automatically updated with any firmware updates.

So I would recommend the unit, works very good if you have internet service of at least 3g.

-John

scott_b

Todd,

My Verizon iPad works great at our place with speed tests in the 3-5Mbps. I have been thinking of getting a mifi as well but the $50 per month every month gives me pause. Does anyone know if I purchase a mifi (un-subsidized) can I go month to month with Verizon?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Scott.

I saw an ad in last Sunday's circulars in the paper. I think it was Best Buy was advertising MiFi units that were pay as you go, just like a go phone.

-John

gogebictodd

Not familar with all the terminology yet, but as I understand it is MIFI via the cellular device. My daughter uses it(called verizon Hot spot)
with a 4G phone in Milwaukee and she says it works well and is fast.

srt20

Todd,

My Verizon iPad works great at our place with speed tests in the 3-5Mbps. I have been thinking of getting a mifi as well but the $50 per month every month gives me pause. Does anyone know if I purchase a mifi (un-subsidized) can I go month to month with Verizon?

You are getting those speeds by Lake Gogebic??

If you purchase a mifi without a contract, you can go month to month. Be advised, the purchase price of that mifi will be over $500, maybe even $700. Unless you buy used off of ebay of course.

edit; this was for verizon mifi. Not sure on the other brands.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to the no-contract MiFi from Best Buy, it's a Virgin Mobile one $129.99:
http://deals.bestbuy.com/#!/mobile2

Would this one work with any cell tower, or does it have to be a specific tower? I might think about getting one as a backup and also to use when I am on the road with no free wifi available.

-John

srt20

Virgin mobile uses Sprint towers.
Millenicom uses Sprint for some plans and Verizon on other plan. Ive heard some pretty good chatter about Millenicom.

John, what service are you using? What are your speeds? What speedtest are you using?

scott_b

Todd, that is not mifi, it is tethering. Check with Verizon on how much data you get for the $30 tethering fee.

SRT I was amazed at the speeds at our house. I can get a new mifi from Verizon for $269 with no contract. They are under $100 on eBay.

joks79

I used tethering with my old Blackberry. It worked great. Go to tether.com
It is a one time fee. It's says it works with iPhones, but it is not in the app store.

srt20

Todd, that is not mifi, it is tethering. Check with Verizon on how much data you get for the $30 tethering fee.

SRT I was amazed at the speeds at our house. I can get a new mifi from Verizon for $269 with no contract. They are under $100 on eBay.

Wow, those are very impressive speeds considering where it is. It alot faster than what I got here halfway between Mil and Mad.
Wow again on the VZW price. Guess its been awhile since I checked them out.

I rooted and have free hotspot on my phone. I also have usb tether if needed, again free. I am on the old $30/unlimited plan on VZW. I am waiting for 4G in my area to upgrade to MIFI. USB card now.
From what I am reading, if you have a newer VZW phone, you can tether through the USB for free. (RAZR, G.Nexus, Rezound). So thats another option for those that dont want to take there MIFI or aircards with them. Or if you have an older Droid you can tether via pdanet or easytether. Or you can root and have it all for free.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
srt20-

I have AT&T. A tower is about a mile as the crow flies. I just ran a test and got 7.63 Mbps on the down and 2.10 on the up through speedtest.net.

-John

srt20

jeezus!! Im gonna have to move to the U.P. just for the internet!! Nevermind the snow......

Its gotta be lack of population in those areas that are allowing those speeds. Seriously Ive seen 4G speeds slower than that. With those speeds you guys dont even need 4G.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
jeezus!! Im gonna have to move to the U.P. just for the internet!! Nevermind the snow......

Its gotta be lack of population in those areas that are allowing those speeds. Seriously Ive seen 4G speeds slower than that. With those speeds you guys dont even need 4G.

Crazy huh? I think in my case all the planets are perfectly aligned. A tower around 1 mile from me with clear view and very few folks using it. It would probably not be a stretch to say that when I did my test and 10 to 5 this morning, I was the ONLY one using the tower. I just did a test now and got 6.02 down and 1.67 up.

Another nice thing is there is not expected to be a population boom in the greater Mohawk area anytime soon, so I should continue to see speeds that are this good- or even better as technology improves.

-John

whitehorse

If you buy a mifi without contract....what did they quote you for service?.....I was quoted $50.00 per month with contract and $20.00 per month for the "Hot Spot" - through Verizon....they said that with the Hot Spot I could start and stop anytime I want and would prorate any billing...plan on getting a 4g phone ( I phone or New Droid??) this spring....looking at both options so would be interested in mifi. w/o contract....A friend has it and it's sweet!

scott_b

I have seen $50 for 5gb, sign up when ever you need it. I believe the tethering fee is just to make your phone tether and you are still using against your phones data plan, no additional data is allowed.