Michigan Sled Auction

arctic

Anyone ever been? If so, was it good and were the sleds setup or crated or mostly used sleds from bank repos/etc.? Thinking about taking a ride up there Mar. 5 if I'm not up riding.

Been there its ok not that great on deals like you would think .Bring your compression tester .. people shoving rags in cyl so rod didnt bang .. lol you can see it all make sure you look over everything its sold as is so buy beware!!!!

mrfirecat

I went to the White Star auction about 10 years ago. They sell an impressive number of sleds in a hurry. It was about March time period and there were some ok deals but nothing too special.

Hoosier

I have been there a few times. It's hit or miss. Late in the season is the best. Back when sleds were overproduced it was a good place to buy a leftover with factory warrantee.

polarisrider1

Been there done that. There are regulars who know everyone and buy nothing. There are guys like my brother who brings down a few sleds and leaves with a dozen more sometimes. You get me a couple times a year who buys things like go carts, dirt bikes, fence posts, anything that will turn a buck on ebay and an occasional sled. Most the time I get burned, but I do like the Goulash the ladies make and sell. Then you got the pros coming in to stock there shops with used sleds. Used to be a lot better. in late winter and early spring you get the rental sleds going thru along with the 6 months same as cash beaten by a young guy who had no plans of making payments on the sled he turned to junk that is now at auction. I find a lot of the sleds there are sleds you would not sell to a friend or someone who knows were you live. Deals can be had but you need a pocket full of cash and to do your research in the lot before you bid. look for mismatched parts and paint colors, look to see if sled, bike,cart, whatever lines match up. check compression on all sleds you may want to buy. Most importantly, that item is there for a reason, otherwise it would be selling in the paper or auto trader magazines. figure out the reason before you bid. The auction ring has bright lights that make a sled shine. be careful. Go to a few auctions and watch how it works, it makes a great way to burn a saturday afternoon with the kids or your buddies.

arctic

Ya, I was looking to go to see if there were new sleds there though from a dealer closing or just dumping old crated units. Did you see any of that?

polarisrider1

Ya, I was looking to go to see if there were new sleds there though from a dealer closing or just dumping old crated units. Did you see any of that?

sometimes. The reserves on those are set high. usually around dealer to dealer rate. Deals are not there as in the past. You may find a sled that is there on a must dump, need money for a lawyer type situation but that does not control the price. biding controls that. sleds go for what they are pretty much worth. Remember there are Professional buyers in the crowd. People and sleds come from every state and most of Canada to buy and sell there.

mjkaliszak

Like Polarisrider1 said, be careful. Had a old t-cat years ago, was at a local shop, bad stator ect... Those are 600 and you have to pull the motor to fix. The shop owner said to me hey, we can run a air line from the hood vent to the cover and then take it to bronson & dump it ! The winding opened up when it would get hot, this would buy a little more time during a test ride. I scratched my head and said " that's OK, I'll pass on that ". I don't want to be apart of something like that. I fixed the sled, posted it locally, sold it and all kinds of parts for $500. Nothing like a clear conscience. Snowmobiling isn't about that kind of behavior for me.

Benjamingvsu

It's a place to sell but not buy.

I sold there last year, and got more for my sleds than I had them advertised on various sled sites and craigslist, and buyers pay 10% fee + taxes, so that means they paid significantly more.