Mine Tours

doowest

I am headed up to the UP with my wife and 5 year old boy to tour one of the old mines. In your opinion which tour would be better for us? The Adventure Mine or the Delaware Mine? Also, is there any other points of interests or tours of any sort that you would recommend for us to visit while we are in the Keweenaw.

Thanks,

Terry

A

admin

Terry-

There is also the Quincy Mine just above the city of Hancock. I have only been in the Deleware mine, so that is the only one I can give a personal experience from. We had fun, although it is (or was when I went through) a self guided tour with some information boards along the tour.

I can add that part of the Quincy mine complex is the hoist and shaft house, the worlds largest of it's type. I also believe that the tour there is guided, so you have the opportunity to learn as much as you want.

I have heard good things about the Adventure mine as well. Guided tours and they have some really adventurous ones (like rapelling) if you want to get that extreme.

Perhaps others that have been on tours at Adventure and Quincy mines can lend their experiences.

-John

brapmaster

We have been to the Quincey mine several times. It is very informative, and the 5 year old shouldn't get too scared. The tram ride will also be fun.

Cal

technologic

I would hit the Quincy as opposed to the Delaware. I have heard real good things though on the Adventure. The Delaware is a good hit once you got some mining tours under your belt. Delaware is a lower budget outfit but don't let that fool you. It's still fun, I went late into the season. They actually were closed but opened up the mine for me. I thought that was pretty cool! It's just like those UP'ers to show such a good quality. I was the only one down there to. Pretty spooky by myself and got all creeped out especially in the section were they tune the lights to a level of a candle.

S

skylar

I have done the Quincy, Adventure, and the Delaware. All of them are really cool, you can't go wrong with any of them. My favorite though was the Delaware, because of Oreo the pet skunk.
happy.gif

Speaking of oreo's, time for a snack.

technologic

Pet skunk! I didn't' get to see that! Dang it, though taking the tour by myself made up for it! I liked the little mine shop to at Delaware.

D

babyseal

Tours are also available at Champion 4 shafthouse in Painesdale. Can't go underground but we can take you inside of Champion 4, inside the hoist building as well as the Captain's office. There is no charge, but a donation wouldn't be refused. If interested, let me know. I can be down there in a jiffy!

dooski

If you are ever in the south eastern UP check out the Vulcan Mine. The guided tour was great. You ride an old ore car deep into the mine and they show you all the old equiptment. Lots of history. Not bad for 6 bucks.

The big stope is very impressive. If you put the empire state building in there you would only see the antenas.