Minn North Shore 1/11-1/13

jessemiller

The trails were in great shape. We were up for three days and put on 470 miles. GREAT TRIP, hope to make it up again in March.

1)Wife on Devil's Track Lake.
2)Wife at the Lake Superior overlook north of Silver Bay on G
3)Me at the Trestle
4)Intersection of the Timberwolf and the Tomahawk
5)Groomers on the North Shore Trail north of Lutsen

Attachments

• brendalake.JPG
    brendalake.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 399
  • brendasled.jpg
    brendasled.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 385
  • jessetressle.jpg
    jessetressle.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 427
  • sledstomahack2.jpg
    sledstomahack2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 399
  • sledsgroomers.jpg
    sledsgroomers.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 442

jessemiller

I would say 30-40 miles. The best trails and the most snow is Two Harbors to Silver Bay. We did Silver Bay to the Trestle then to the Knotted Pine in Isabella then down the Yukon then up the NST to Silver Bay one day and I would say that was the most snow and best trail conditions of all three rides we did.

atc250rfoxusa

snow always seems to be the best/deepest near the knotted pine. I am headed up to unload just outside of duluth, then up the nsst to near tofte, then up to the trestle, and to the knotted pine, then back to the truck. Yukon trail usually gets pretty rough unless there is a ton of snow, so I am suprised to hear it was good.

Last edited:

atc250rfoxusa

Forgot to add, next time your in that area, go to babbit and visit tanks bar where you have to get a shrimp burger (sounds bad, but they are soooo good). Trails near babbit are long, wide and flat 100mph trails.

tedwardo123

Yukon, NSST conditions = Great except for trees

We did the Yukon, NSST, Tomahawk, Swamper, and Gunflint trails this weekend on Friday and Saturday. These trails are in Minnesota by Finland, Tofte, Lutsen, and Grand Marais.

All trails had great base were you can't kick thru the white stuff to hit dirt. The trails are setup great!

The bad news is that the Yukon and Tomahawk have many, many spots with trees hanging over the trail that break parts off of your helmet if you don't duck.

Our powder spots inland from Tofte about 10 miles had a great base with maybe 12" of fresh stuff on top, made for possible powder-turns but not ideal conditions....

The North Shore State Trail (NSST) had only a couple spots with branches hanging in the way up by Lutsen otherwise the trail was kept up great.

The Gun Flint trail was also 100% good all the way to the Trail Center and Hungry Jack Lodge....

So, MN trails are looking great, hope we get more snow for off-trail riding though.

-Ron