MN North Shore 3/28

elf

Went up for the day and rode forest and logging roads for the day on 3/28. Trailered up past the Trestle Inn and unlaoded on the Grade road. Got far enough away from the lake that we didn't have many issues with trees across the trail but still had to go around some. Riding was excellent, lot's of snow on the roads and in the woods up there yet. Only road 65 miles but we had kids with so it was just goofing around.

Cooking lunch on the lake
108084.jpg

Luke and Trent playing with a mouse we found when getting firewood. That poor mouse, those kids played with it for a long time. They'd take it out on the lake and build a house for it. Then they'd take it back by the shore and dig a cave for it. Funny!
108085.jpg

Trent stepping in a hole, snow depth was about 20-24"
108086.jpg

Luke in the same hole
108087.jpg

Road we were on
108088.jpg

Had a great time, did some waterskipping, some boondocking. I wouldn't hesitate at all to go up there this coming weekend, especially if we get the snow we are talking about tomorrow.

samc

Elf,
Did you ride any of the trails or just stick to the logging roads? Might pull the machines out if you get enough snow this week. One last ride if you will.....
Also thanks for the info on the Hot Dog cooker (Shade Tree).

elf

Samc,
We rode only on forest and logging roads, no trails. Even if we don't get the snow this week they are forecasting there's a bunch of riding you can do on forest roads. They will be snow covered for at least 2 weeks yet.

Kevisip,
It was weird, when we stopped and took breaks we talked about how warm it must be yet when we got back to the truck, it was only 21 degrees. The strength of the sun makes it seem a lot warmer than it is now. There's a ton of snow up there yet. When we went off trail if you broke through the crust it was deep.

elf

Samc,
Not sure about this weekend. Part of me says "yes, get your butt up there" while the other part says "you've got close to 2000 miles on this winter, call it a day." After last weekend, I washed and greased the sled to get it ready for summer. Should've known better.

If I can convince my wife to go up, then I'll be up there. I should post her e mail on this site so you can all e mail her to convince her I should go up for my 12th weeekend this year!

elf

Well, I hear the Finland area has gotten 15"+ from this storm so I guess we'll be going back up on Saturday for a day ride. Think we'll unload near Isabella this time and ride the forest roads up in that area.