Modular helmets

Greatwhitehope

I am looking to switch to a modular helmet
Which one is worth the money? I run an electric
Shield Hjc now. Is a heated shield necessary on a modular?

huttes99

I also run a hjc with heated shield. My friends run the ski doo modular with heated shields. I am so used to never fogging up with the heated shield I don't think I woud buy one without now.

polarisrider1

Never needed a heated shield on any helmet ever. I have used the stuff (parts and pcs.) that come with most good helmets and use it correctly and never had a fogging issue. The skidoo modulars work the best for trail riding. It is all about not exhailing directly towards your shield. I would never dream of wiring myself up to a sled the way I ride. Had to bypass my tether when I had a Renegade. Oh and no seat belts either.

Attachments

• bail.jpg
    bail.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last year was my first year with BRP's Modular. I had no issues with fogging with temps ranging from sub zero to the 30's. The Vent Tubes and Mask take a bit of getting used to but once you get things adjusted and fitting properly, it's an all-day helmet. They run a about one size small so make sure of the fit before you buy, I think mine is a XXL. As an added plus, they're designed to allow for eye glasses which was my deciding factor.

Greatwhitehope

Thanks for the heads up on the sizing.
I guess the biggest factor behind going to modular
Would be the increased viewing room, and I'm not
A fan of being tied to the sled with the shield either.
I guess my big concern is fogging up. I'v
Always had troubles fogging up especially at night

accobra66

Been using the Bombardier modular helmets now for going on over 10 years. As noted above, once they are adjusted correctly they are all day helmets. The only negative to them that I have found is that they tend to be a bit colder than a full face helmet. On those really cold mornings (below 10 degrees) I often utilize the optional mask that come with the helmet.

whitedust

Thanks for the heads up on the sizing.
I guess the biggest factor behind going to modular
Would be the increased viewing room, and I'm not
A fan of being tied to the sled with the shield either.
I guess my big concern is fogging up. I'v
Always had troubles fogging up especially at night

Hmm BRP mods don't fog the shield but your increased viewing comment not sure if you mean field of vision or what? Most people find any modular to be claustrophobic compared to non mods. Glasses may or may not fog with mod for me depends on temp, venting & sweat but better than any other solution. You have to try Brp mod on some people just don't like the reduced field of vision. Aok for me but not for everybody.

groomerdriver

As I understand it, the current Doo Mod 2 has a wider viewing area than the original Modular. I am mildly claustrophobic and got a Mod 2 two years ago (with heated shield). I like it a lot! As another poster said, it does run small....at least one size...maybe 2 depending on what you wear on your head.

My only wish is that I could buy a tan colored sun shield to replace the gray one it comes with.

switch07

The wife and I just bought Gmax modulars at the snow show with electric shields for about 200 each. They look like they will be a good helmet, plenty of vents and the sun visor. I have an older Polaris modular that I really liked and my only complaint was it was a cold helmet, air leaks and such. It was ten years old and the new ones have come a long way with sealing out the leaks. I don't care for the BRP mods with the mask, just don't want anything on my face like that. Most of the time I ride without the nose piece unless it is really cold, that is why I like an electric shield. Good luck in your choice.

stormrider3

Bombardier BV2S, best helmet ever
Doesn't fog, keeps you warm, no wind on your face,and it is quiet inside
All of this and no cord

whitedust

If my choice is a wet slimy snot filled mask or a cord, I guess I'll take the cord......just my 2cents.

LOL .........you are right about wet slimy snot filled mask but if you wear glasses you live with it so you can see but people should know about the mask drawbacks to be fair.

polarisrider1

LOL .........you are right about wet slimy snot filled mask but if you wear glasses you live with it so you can see but people should know about the mask drawbacks to be fair.
That's what the BRP "panty liners" are for. I bought a case on Ebay for what the dealer charges for a 10 pack.

mbender

Go with the BRP modular. I have ran if for ten years and wear glasses and don't have any issues with fogging.

T

Team Elkhorn

x2, I wish I had known more about the mask and the absorbing pads before I bought my Brp Mod 2 helmet, I would have just got contact lenses myself. I bought the special face mask, electric shield, extra pads and had custom graphics put on it. I only used it half a season and couldn't stand it anymore. Other than the slimy snot, it was cold, my eyes would sting from air flow and it gave me bad headaches. Even got a touch of frost bite once while wearing it. (Yes I tinkered with the vents trying to fix it. I even tried putting a tall windscreen on my poor sled).
I took the graphics off, and sold it the next season for half what I payed for it. I made sure I told the guy that bought it why I got rid of it. Took that money and bought a Gmax mod helmet and I love it. And now I've got a tall windscreen for sale if anyone is interested.:)

whitedust

x2, I wish I had known more about the mask and the absorbing pads before I bought my Brp Mod 2 helmet, I would have just got contact lenses myself. I bought the special face mask, electric shield, extra pads and had custom graphics put on it. I only used it half a season and couldn't stand it anymore. Other than the slimy snot, it was cold, my eyes would sting from air flow and it gave me bad headaches. Even got a touch of frost bite once while wearing it. (Yes I tinkered with the vents trying to fix it. I even tried putting a tall windscreen on my poor sled).
I took the graphics off, and sold it the next season for half what I payed for it. I made sure I told the guy that bought it why I got rid of it. Took that money and bought a Gmax mod helmet and I love it. And now I've got a tall windscreen for sale if anyone is interested.:)

Yep ....Difficult to avoid frostbite with brp mod on really cold long days if you don't use spare mask & try to keep face dry at mask. For me mask tubes become block of ice anyway so know time to change. Changing absorbant pad does help but if you don't dry & thaw out mask pad gets wet quick & freezes so not a trail side fix for long then again wet face. Change face gear as much as possible too so you stay dry as possible.

Direct Attack

As I understand it, the current Doo Mod 2 has a wider viewing area than the original Modular. I am mildly claustrophobic and got a Mod 2 two years ago (with heated shield). I like it a lot! As another poster said, it does run small....at least one size...maybe 2 depending on what you wear on your head.

My only wish is that I could buy a tan colored sun shield to replace the gray one it comes with.
They make a Yellow one for the mod 2 .Ski Doo part # 445971 I just ordered one for my helmet ! The cost is $59.99

doo_crazy

I have the Doo Mod with the electric shield (I cant stand the breath guard against my face) and it worked great... but I just bought the GMAX GM54S modular helmet with the electric shield and it is awsome!!!! and less then half the price of the Doo. $179 with free shipping including the electric shield.

if you get an electric shield you will never go back to riding without one. works the best at stop signs... no fog... and if it does it clears right away.. sleet freezing rain... snow... clears them all especially if you have a sled with a battery.

my $.02... good luck.