Moving and making a living in the UP

cummins

My wife and I are seriously thinking about moving to the UP. We are in our mid forties and have no kids. I'm a licensed/insured builder and having talked with some locals up there I don't think I'll have any problems finding work. My wife is a graphic artist @ a weekly paper here; we are trying to dream up a job for her. Health insurance and benefits will be gone from her job.
We already own some property in the north central UP (snowbelt) and were thinking about building some small cabins for rentals: snowmobiling, quads & SxS, hunters and fishermen. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

loriwlrc

Wow your us! Dave's a contractor, I'm an artist, we had your same dream.We had mentors that gave us the ups and downs, Richard and Sandy. Here we are 11 years into our project, I'm speaking for myself ( not Dave), we're lucky Dave's a contractor, I haven't been so lucky to make it in my field, so I work 2 part time jobs, 1 teaching art classes the other job is @ a convience store, plus 7 days a week @ the cabins, Dave is here as often as time lets him, plus in the winter he volunteers as a groomer and attends meetings that are related to tourisum. 1st. off ,your at the mercy of the weather, 2nd off, your location is everything, the best of all worlds is to be close to gas, food supplies, be close to a trail system, and if at all possiable be on the water so you can take full advantage of all 4 seasons. 3rd have lots of money or good 2nd. jobs. unless you can have 90% occupancy 365 days of the year. 4th be prepared to be available 24/7, and like people, as well as patients. It is a dream that will probably not make you rich in $'s but it will make you rich in friends.

whitedust

Yep you pretty much have to be a landlord with rental property to have income & that can be very iffy except in winter & must be close to trails. There are always homes that need improvement but not a lot of new homes being built. Not sure where you are considering but most rental biz is along Trail 3 from Lando to Houghton then thins out in the Keewee. Attracting hunters & sportsmen is difficult & short seasons.Check into trails for ATVs as trail access is different county to county but again in best shape on Trail 3. Not sure what your wife can do maybe freelance graphic artist ability online. Most jobs are minimum wage up here waiting tables, bartending that sort of work. There are mining opportunites but that is about it. It is cold & snowey up here for about 6 months every year so you have to like winter not visiting it but living it. Good luck with your endeavor but go into it with both eyes wide open it is not easy up here & people saying "oh yeah you can make it" & actually doing it are 2 different realities. Best of luck & welcome to the area! :)

polarisrider1

My wife and I are seriously thinking about moving to the UP. We are in our mid forties and have no kids. I'm a licensed/insured builder and having talked with some locals up there I don't think I'll have any problems finding work. My wife is a graphic artist @ a weekly paper here; we are trying to dream up a job for her. Health insurance and benefits will be gone from her job.
We already own some property in the north central UP (snowbelt) and were thinking about building some small cabins for rentals: snowmobiling, quads & SxS, hunters and fishermen. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

And I was thinking Northport was the place to be??? Keep in mind visiting and actually living there are not the same. Where would you go for vacations then? Price out Health Insurance before you make a move.