nature and long range forcasts

ubee

John,do you use nature and local lore in any of your forecasts ? Seems eveything is coming early this year except maybe the color ! Saw a couple of nice bucks this weekend and their antlers are well polished and necks starting to swell but leaves are turning slow despite 2 hard frosts and shorter days ! Lots of berries,lots of acorns ! Whats going on

Attachments

• DSC07527.jpg
    DSC07527.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC07531.jpg
    DSC07531.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC07536.jpg
    DSC07536.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC07535.jpg
    DSC07535.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 198

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't. The reason being is that I have yet to notice a woodland animal sense that it is going to be a harsh winter any more than one of us. A hard winter will kill more creatures in the woods than a weak one, so those animals are not sensing things are going to be difficult, or perhaps they would take some kind of action.

Plus, there are many before me that have tried to make connections between happenings in nature and seasonal forecasting and have not come up with anything that works, so I will just stick to science and avoid the folklore, as romantic as it is.

I have noticed that every time I am walking in the woods and come to a spot that has a ton of acorns on the ground, I am standing under an oak tree! :D

Nice buck pictures. My guess that fella is not going to last too long into the hunting season if he is out in public during daylight hours.

-John