Need Advice from those with Cabins, currently looking in Michigan.

DFarver

Looking to buy a place in Northern Michigan and looking for some feedback from people who have them or have had them. Right now looking Higgins Lake and north, as I would like to be close to an "all sports lake" as I enjoy summer activites just as much as sledding. I do want to be far enough north though to feel as though I am away from home. (Saginaw Area)

If you were just now looking, what would be your "must haves" in your search for a cabin? Any advice would be great! Finding a location you like and a decent place is tuff. Right now I am torn between a "cabin" in the woods and a few acres or a "cottage" closer to a lake with neighbors close by.

choc_lab

I have a place on the wi and mi boarder . I am tucked in the woods and have all the peace and quiet you need but have access to the menominee river which is real nice in summer also we have 2 bars and golf courses with in a mile ,so when you want you can go just done the road to have a beer or dinner with out making it a major deal . places close so So my advice look a little of both. Trail access is good even if you are a boondocker .

ill marty

Make sure if buying a camp in the up the road is a plowed road . If not you wont be able to build a nicer place down the road. Make sure the place has electic going to it. Telephone poles are expensive . We bought our camp in 2001 . The power was shut off . We had to redo all the wiring from the telephone pole to the camp and redo all electric inside camp. In 2001 we bought 30 acres with a 100 year old log cabin that was moved from a cemetary in Ishpeming mi. We paid 27500 for it then. It was the best money i spent in the last 11 years. Enjoy your hunt .

sixball

We have a place east of Lewiston and north of Mio. Its out in the woods not on any water. We are very close to the Snowmobile trail and the CCC or ATV trails. I think if you want to be on water it will be more of a residential type situation unless you can afford a big chunk of land.
The Western side of the state will get better snow most of the time for sledding. If we get good snow we have very good snowmobiling at our place but the last years have not been good.
I find having a place not more then three or four hours away from my home lets me enjoy it a lot. It also gives me a good start to jump up to the U.P. for sled runs. Good luck

polarisrider1

I have a place in the Irons area. Water on one side (lake) trails run on the other side. Perfect set up. 1 acre heavy wooded lot on private lake. Bar, gas and store within walking distance. Not for sale!! You don't need a ton of land if you have federal or state land on each side. Why pay taxes on a ton of land and also tie up a ton of money. Plowed roads a must, land that perks and has good water a must. Cell phone signal a real plus. Oh and great neighbors, but no neighbors even better. Neighbor up there is from Saginaw.