Need help with a Ford diesel

dmsrx

Co-Worker has a 2003 F250 with the 6.0 Diesel. Won't start cold. Glow plugs cycle, tries to fire for a couple revolutions then just cranks. We did get it to fire outside and it smoked a ton. Checked continuity on the glow plugs and all had it. Checked voltage to the glow plug connector and had it. Put it inside and let it warm up and fires right up. Anyone have any help? Thanks in advance.

fredster

Are you sure the glow plugs are really working? Any way to test the voltage draw? Sounds like the GP's aren't working......

Also, how many miles? If the miles are high and the engine is tired (low compression) it's not going to want to start in really cold weather.

jimfsr

Voltage to the GP harness doesn't mean that there is sufficient amperage getting through. the GP relay is most likely at fault. Try jumping the relay posts with a large spring clamp. big enough to connect both the posts, see if it starts cold then. If so, you have the problem. It wont hurt it to try it, but dont leave it on there for too long. 30 sec. is sufficient.

dmsrx

Looks like this truck has a relay and a controller. If it were the relay why would we have power to the Glow Plugs (at the harness connector by the head)? Just wondering what were missing. We onlly used a test light to check for current, we will put a voltmeter on after work to make sure it is 12 volts. Someone else said injectors were sludged up. I've never worked on one of these and he doesn't have a manual so right now everything is just a shot in the dark. Just trying to do what makes sense. Thanks for all the replies so far.

borderstaff

ford backwards stands for-driver returns on foot

Why do you feel the need to add this in? Can't you stay on topic like everyone else and try to be helpful instead of an annoyance?

BTW good topic - I have the same truck and have had similar issues. I love the truck otherwise. It gets me from A to B and pulls the 4 place very well. Far better than the 1/2 ton Suburban that it replaced ever could have.

HIGHLANDER

Why do you feel the need to add this in? Can't you stay on topic like everyone else and try to be helpful instead of an annoyance?

BTW good topic - I have the same truck and have had similar issues. I love the truck otherwise. It gets me from A to B and pulls the 4 place very well. Far better than the 1/2 ton Suburban that it replaced ever could have.

I got a good chucle out of it, laughter is the best medicine!
loosen up a little

syscokid4

i had the same prob i had to replace the glow plugs i had 1 that ohm out diff and that throws them all off everything else tested ok

crskidoo

I got a good chucle out of it, laughter is the best medicine!
loosen up a little

I understand this guy has a serious question but that was pretty funny. We have a 05 6.0 powerstroke. We can't take it anywhere. Get 50 miles from the farm and it will quit. Its good to know about the relay! That is one thing we haven't replaced.. The INERTIA switch has gone out twice now. If thats how you spell it. But it won't fire at all once that fails so this would not be your problem.

attack_06

cold diesel

1st off if u plug it in every night it will fire right away even with no glow plugs working 2nd during really cold weather u should put in anti jell fuel treatment this additive increases cetane count and allows cylinders to fire faster at cold tempuratures

1st off if u plug it in every night it will fire right away even with no glow plugs working 2nd during really cold weather u should put in anti jell fuel treatment this additive increases cetane count and allows cylinders to fire faster at cold tempuratures

I just have to say from my experience, that if you have to plug your Ford powerstroke in for it to start in the morning there is something else wrong with it. I bought my Ford diesel brand new in 2002 and never had a problem with it starting until an underlying issue arose; i.e. glow plug relay. This truck started all the time in -degree weather for the first 5 years of it's life. And after the relay was replaced and I traded it in about a month ago with 30,000more miles since the relay was replaced it started every time. I left this truck parked in the Wausau WI airport parking lot for 6 days for Christmas vacation 3 years ago covered in snow and --degree weather only for it only to start right up. Until my relay was replaced I assumed my glow plugs were going and had to plug my truck in to have it start in cold weather. I never had the plugs changed and the relay replacement worked.

So, in my experience I' m just sayin' if you have a starting ptoblem it's SOMETHING, just don't dismiss it to the aged old excuse thats its a diesel. I also have several friends with the same trucks and they all have had the similar problem.

And contrary to the above post, who can assure they can plug their truck in every night. Sure, you can plug your truck in every night but maybe there are people that don't have that luxury. And I don't know anyone operating a diesel in the North that doesnt know about anti-gelling fluid. Thanks for the tip. GHEEESH

kevisip

I just have to say from my experience, that if you have to plug your Ford powerstroke in for it to start in the morning there is something else wrong with it. I bought my Ford diesel brand new in 2002 and never had a problem with it starting until an underlying issue arose; i.e. glow plug relay. This truck started all the time in -degree weather for the first 5 years of it's life. And after the relay was replaced and I traded it in about a month ago with 30,000more miles since the relay was replaced it started every time. I left this truck parked in the Wausau WI airport parking lot for 6 days for Christmas vacation 3 years ago covered in snow and --degree weather only for it only to start right up. Until my relay was replaced I assumed my glow plugs were going and had to plug my truck in to have it start in cold weather. I never had the plugs changed and the relay replacement worked.

So, in my experience I' m just sayin' if you have a starting ptoblem it's SOMETHING, just don't dismiss it to the aged old excuse thats its a diesel. I also have several friends with the same trucks and they all have had the similar problem.

And contrary to the above post, who can assure they can plug their truck in every night. Sure, you can plug your truck in every night but maybe there are people that don't have that luxury. And I don't know anyone operating a diesel in the North that doesnt know about anti-gelling fluid. Thanks for the tip. GHEEESH

Great point.....I still plug my truck in, and make sure my 2 batteries are new or fully charged and a new oil change......and say my prayers of the rosery....

dmsrx

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out it was the fuel Injector Control Module. $700.00 repair. Wasn't putting out enough voltage cold. Makes sense since it would fire right up if left inside a heated building. FWIW, it wouldn't start outside even @ 32 deg. and plugged in.
Thanks again.

ubee

too late but good knowledge!! Bad glow plugs will cause what you are describing. The controller senses the resistance in them, as they heat up resistance increases and the controller will turn them off when the resistance reaches a certain point. Bad/dead GP's create a lot of resistance and will fool the controller into thinking they plugs are hot enough. A quick way to check your GP's is to attach a test light to the postive battery terminal and touch the connecter on each GP. If the light comes on the plug is still working. A better test would be to use a quality electrical tester to check the actual resistance which should be between .5-1 ohm. Some plugs may test good with the light, but still aren't working to there full potential.

Read more: http://www.dieselbombers.com/ford-8...f-350-7-3-starting-problem.html#ixzz0ZeIBgsRy

dmsrx

Thanks Ubee. He ended up taking it in. I don't have any equipment to check a Diesel and haven't worked on one besides being too busy at work. Went to dinner with Jim K last night here in Indy. He's alot better now that he's retired! How are you?

ubee

Hey Dan good to hear from you! Say hi to Jim !!I havent seen him in awhile.Iam getting lots of miles on my 05 rage.come up and ride,ill take you out cross country!! most of the time its glow plugs and you have to be real carefull changing them. that site I referenced really has alot of good info on there!