New Trail

wirev

Supposedly, another new year round trail will be the rail grade from Rockland to Ontonagon. It's not set up yet, and if that is correct, it certainly will be a super fast trail [10-12 miles] from Rockland to Ontonagon.

D

Deleted member 10829

Supposedly, another new year round trail will be the rail grade from Rockland to Ontonagon. It's not set up yet, and if that is correct, it certainly will be a super fast trail [10-12 miles] from Rockland to Ontonagon.

That is the plan I've heard from a couple of good sources. That will be another nice option up there and will hopefully get more people up to Ontonagon again as they are really doing a great job of grooming the past 2 years! Thanks Ranlam!!

nytro_rtx

That is the plan I've heard from a couple of good sources. That will be another nice option up there and will hopefully get more people up to Ontonagon again as they are really doing a great job of grooming the past 2 years! Thanks Ranlam!!

I've heard the same, it's gonna be a great trail!! Ranlam does a great job, best trails I rode all year!!

towtruck

I've heard the same, it's gonna be a great trail!! Ranlam does a great job, best trails I rode all year!!

is that the RR that Smurfit Stone used to haul raw materials in and cardboard out of Ontonagon? I noticed they pulled the rail out where it crosses the trail south of Rockland

wirev

I believe that is correct. Don't know where rail was taken out to start, but it is south of Ontonagon crossing hwy 45 before turning and going through town. It would have been nice if they would have connected it to trail 3 before you get to Rockland but as of now there is still rail where 3 crosses it. Don't know exactly where you will be able to pick it up, perhaps off of 13 or just through town?

wirev

Don't know the particulars, but signage is up on the Rockland/Ontonagon trail. Did not see any traffic.

D

Deleted member 10829

I believe that is correct. Don't know where rail was taken out to start, but it is south of Ontonagon crossing hwy 45 before turning and going through town. It would have been nice if they would have connected it to trail 3 before you get to Rockland but as of now there is still rail where 3 crosses it. Don't know exactly where you will be able to pick it up, perhaps off of 13 or just through town?

It's my understanding the trail will come out on 13 just a mile or so south of Rockland where the trail crosses the old rail grade. There used to be stop signs there, but not any more.

wirev

Still would be great if they connected to 3 as well, then you wouldn't have to ride the hill into Rockland which is usually rough as I remember it.

D

Deleted member 10829

Still would be great if they connected to 3 as well, then you wouldn't have to ride the hill into Rockland which is usually rough as I remember it.

If you are talking about the large hill, that will be just south of this, so if you go north into Rockland, you miss the big hill. However, in recent years the big hill has been fine IMO.

wirev

That is off 13. I was talking about the trail that comes into Rockland from the east. The one that splits off of 3 north of hwy 45 and goes to Rockland west or Mass City east. I haven’t been on that trail for a few years but that trail used to have some huge moguls going up the hill. That’s why I said that it would be nice to take the new trail all the way east to 3 to avoid that hill. Probably could not get the rites/$$$ to purchase. I doubt it would be another mile or two to get to where the new trail connects to 13.

POLARISDAN

when they have snow in ontonagan

- - - Updated - - -

It's my understanding the trail will come out on 13 just a mile or so south of Rockland where the trail crosses the old rail grade. There used to be stop signs there, but not any more.

they probably got tired of pulling people over for phantom stops signs and removed them

ranlam

Thanks guys! Its going to be an awesome trail! There may be a new way of getting to Greenland also from this new trail! I predict this will be a super highway next december - march! The June 13th orv trail ride is going to use this new trail to bring wheelers into Ontonagon, going to be fun. Lots of thanks to MI-TRALE, North Country Snowmobile Club, and MI-DNR and village of Ontonagon to make new trails possible.