Newer 90 HP outboards

JB600

Looking to buy a new 90 HP outboard this offseason for my pontoon. Trying to get some opinions and first hand experience in that HP range. Mercury or Evinrude is looking at the top of my list now.

eagle1

2 stroke or 4 stroke......... Lol. Sorry I had to.
My dad has optimax 115 on his boat. Had 5 or six years and no problems. .......oh and ill find out what oil he uses. Lol

Friend also has 60 mercury four stroke on pontoon. Helped change oil, not too bad.

bearrassler

Having sold boats and motors for over 35 years I would recommend a 4 stroke on a pontoon. That limits your choice to a Mercury of the two you mentioned. Yamaha would also be a good choice. What brand motor is on the pontoon now. If you go with the same brand you may get by without new controls and cables which would save you some money and make the installation a lot easier.

whitedust

Evinrude is 2s most toons now days opt for 4s outboards. I have Evinrude 150etec outboard runs like a hose uses very little oil no worrys when done fogs itself & put in storeage. On a toon going to be low speed or idle most of the time so probably better application for 4s outboard any brand all good engines with Yamaha probabaly most expensive but excellent engines.

D

Deleted member 10829

Has anyone seen the new Evinrude E-TEC G2? New technology but also a very bold new look.

SledTL

I went fishing up in Canada a few years ago and they had 90HP yamahas on their little 16ft boats. They were really nice and pretty quiet, but my boat here has a 150 Optimax so im used to a pretty loud motor. Look at the verados, they are expensive but nice.

dawolf

I've got a 2S 90 Optimax pushing my toon and am very happy with it. A four stroke makes more sense to my head , but two strokes have my heart. Fun is not a logical thing sometimes.

1sob

Mercury now has the BIG FOOT lower unit avaible on their 90 HP. It has numerous advantages on a poontoon boat.