"No snow in Northern WI."

renten

Hi John,
I started snowmobiling about 8 years ago after we winterized our lake cottage in Boulder Jct. WI. I just assumed that there was always snow up north. As I started paying more attention to the weather radar and tracking snow events as they move across the upper midwest, I started to notice a trend where the systems tend to break apart as it nears Vilas Co. and to the east. If the system is moving on a more southern track, it seems to hold together and unload on Tomahawk and Wausau. Boulder Jct. is just above the bottom edge of the snowbelt so there is usually enough snow to launch us into the UP. As bad as last season was, people were still riding to the west of Tomahawk and Wausau later in the season. I feel that if there was no lake effect snow in Vilas Co., there would be no snow at all. Am I crazy or is there something to this. Thanks!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There is no atmospheric or geographical reason for this to occur. It can really just be chalked up to the "luck of the draw". For reasons we do not understand, the weather can repeat itself over the course of several seasons and for the past few seasons, snowfall in the southern 1/2 to 2/3rds of the state of WI has been above average, while running below average in the north.

So I would not get too discouraged. Northern WI is long overdue for a really snowy winter and that is bound to happen sooner or later.

-John