No start Problem HELP!!!

sjshaner

I have a 1995 Arctic Cat 580 EXT Carb not EFI. This just started happening. But when the air is damp (like today) it won't start. It has spark, about 132 PSI compression and seems to be getting gas ( plugs are wet and smell of gas and can see gas moving in the fuel line when try to start). When it wouldn't start today I checked it all and even put in brand new plugs, not even a pop. Any ideas? I am at my wits end with this. It has never had this problem in the past, it just started doing this. The last time I had to drag it in the shop and dry it out by having a heater blowing on the engine. Like I said it has good spark so I do not know what is going on. Help please. Thanks.

doo_dr

Try preheating the plugs and gap them down a little. Heating the plug usually dries it out and allow for a slightly better spark. Gapping the plug down will allow the spark a more positive arch. The motor can/ will actually blow the spark off a cold plug. A propane torch or kitchen stove heats plugs. Cig lighters do not!!!

sjshaner

Try preheating the plugs and gap them down a little. Heating the plug usually dries it out and allow for a slightly better spark. Gapping the plug down will allow the spark a more positive arch. The motor can/ will actually blow the spark off a cold plug. A propane torch or kitchen stove heats plugs. Cig lighters do not!!!

I had to go out of town tonight so I will have to try it when I get back. Thanks for the idea.

anonomoose

If you are sure it is not spark, it just doesn't make sense. Damp should not effect anything else BUT spark.

If the plugs are wet, that normally means no spark. Unless fuel is getting to the jugs in copious amounts...it has to be spark.

Note that just because there is spark at the plug when they are unscrewed and out of the spark plug socket, does NOT mean that it has sufficient spark when under compression.

I would suspect something is shorting out if damp weather is the real cause of your problems. Drying out the system reduces the spark loss enough so that it runs. Follow the electrics all the way to find the cracked wire or faulty component.

doo_dr

One thing to remember is gas does not burn, Gas vapor burns!!! Cold fuel has less vapor and a slow rotating motor (by hand at 100rpms vs. running @2000 rpms) does not create alot of case pressure to allow for gas to build and hold into vapor. Numerous things can cause a sled to not start with the fuel supplied. Low compression, low case pressure (way different the comp), clogged air port in the idle circuit allowing too much fuel, misadjusted carb, water in the fuel (looks and smells like gas but does not have enough to vaporize). If you have all 3 (compression, fuel, spark) you are short on one, or all, of them. I'm guessing carb or water in the fuel if the problem is humidity sensitive.

bouncer

Could be as simple as just flooded.

These engines are jetted for the cold. With the warm temps it doesn't take much to flood the engine.

Make sure you don't have a carb float sticking and pouring fuel into the engine.

Pull the plugs and crank the engine with the throttle wide open for awhile to clear the crankcase.

Install new plugs and fire it up without the choke at first. Use the choke if necessary but sparingly.