Noctilucent Clouds

A

admin

I have heard a little about them, but not sure what you mean about my thoughts on them.

-John

ed__lisa

I heard these mentioned as being a growing phenomenon. Were they always here and we didn't know it? Are they increasing in number? How do you suppose they are formed and what do you think they are made of. Basically that kind of thing. I wasn't really sure they would be considered atmospheric or part of weather...
Thanks again for all you do and especially this site. It helps keep those of us not fortunate enough to live in Gods country in tune...
Ed & Lisa

ed__lisa

frnash,
you know i would agree but thought i would ask an expert. the i.s.s. is apparently logging a number of them and this was something i had never heard of before. i am curious if they are or could be pollutants that are clustering???

A

admin

Thanks for clarifying ed__lisa.

I have to admit that my knowledge of these is very limited. They are thought to be made of ice crystals. How they got there is not known and I believe there really is no sound theory either.

I do not know if they are increasing in their frequency or intensity.

I also do not think that they are considered a true meteorological item as they occur in the upper most reaches of the atmosphere, beyond that where "weather" occurs. Of course one could argue that they do occur within the earth's atmosphere and could then be considered a meteorological entity.

Sorry I could not be of more knowledge to you, but they are just something I do not know that much about.

-John