North shore cabins suggestions

saber1

Anyone have or know of any good cabins to snowmobile out of around Two Harbors area with easy trail access 200 to $300 a night

600_RMK_144

Superior Shores is decent. Directly on the trail system, yes. They have condo type units that are pretty large (link below). If you stay in the lodge units, make sure to connect with the main resort or you have to ride your sled 1/4 mile down the trail to get to your hotel. Much better drinking / eating and going back to your room rather than gearing back up to ride back to your room.

saber1

Superior Shores is decent. Directly on the trail system, yes. They have condo type units that are pretty large (link below). If you stay in the lodge units, make sure to connect with the main resort or you have to ride your sled 1/4 mile down the trail to get to your hotel. Much better drinking / eating and going back to your room rather than gearing back up to ride back to your room.

Thanks for the info looks like a nice place. Hopefully will have good riding planning last wk in January

600_RMK_144

Thanks for the info looks like a nice place. Hopefully will have good riding planning last wk in January
We were there over Christmas break 2018 and riding was real good. They get the same "lake effect" snow as the UP. I was tipped off to the area by someone in this group --- Similar snow conditions, little if any traffic on the trails and less time in the truck vs. UP. We might be going back this season if other areas are struggle with snow.

saber1

From what i have read it is also more remote and gas stops are not that plentiful just have to plan i guess. We have been riding the eastern and western UP for years we wanted to try some new places and not much further than the UP for us

600_RMK_144

From what i have read it is also more remote and gas stops are not that plentiful just have to plan i guess. We have been riding the eastern and western UP for years we wanted to try some new places and not much further than the UP for us
That is true. In town, no problem, but once you get out there not a lot of options. Def would not pass a station without topping off.

ICT Sledder

Make sure the trail base is good. The north shore is very rocky, and low snow will beat the bejesus out of your sled. Speaking from experience.

The area definitely has a more "out there" vibe than most sledding areas. All services - lodging, gas, food - are much fewer and far between. Don't let that talk you out of it - it is not the interior of Alaska or anything.

elf

I ride the North shore about every weekend in the winter. Don't know if you've made your reservations yet but if not I'd try to get a little further up the shore. Grand Superior Lodge is a bit further up and then in Beaver Bay is Cove Point or you can keep moving north from there. The only reason I say that is from Superior Shores you have to follow quite a long trail back and forth to get the North Shore state trail and that might get old and the Beaver Bay/Silver Bay/Finland area has some good variety of trails and nice routes.

But I'll second what everybody else says and plan ahead for gas and food stops. There can be 30-40 mile stretches where there isn't anything, much less gas. Restaurants are running some limited hours right now also. But its an awesome area to ride with fantastic trails and fantastic off-trail if thats your thing. Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

600_RMK_144

I ride the North shore about every weekend in the winter. Don't know if you've made your reservations yet but if not I'd try to get a little further up the shore. Grand Superior Lodge is a bit further up and then in Beaver Bay is Cove Point or you can keep moving north from there. The only reason I say that is from Superior Shores you have to follow quite a long trail back and forth to get the North Shore state trail and that might get old and the Beaver Bay/Silver Bay/Finland area has some good variety of trails and nice routes.

But I'll second what everybody else says and plan ahead for gas and food stops. There can be 30-40 mile stretches where there isn't anything, much less gas. Restaurants are running some limited hours right now also. But its an awesome area to ride with fantastic trails and fantastic off-trail if thats your thing. Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Funny you mention the long ride to get to the state trail. That was a frustration for us as well. The last night, we got back late and were riding the ditches in the dark to get back. My kid rolled his little 340. Not really rolled it, but came down a ditch too fast and one ski hit a small tree which tipped it over. The cool thing as I sat up ahead of him trying to figure out where he went, a couple of guys in their truck saw it and had him back straightened out before I could even get turned around. Pretty cool that they hopped into action that quickly!!!! Probably see it a lot. LOL!

saber1

Thanks Elf. We will be up there Jan 22 to the 29th staying at a cabin called the sled shed in Beaver bay across the highway from Beaver bay Sports I hope thats a good spot to base out of they said trail is right out the door of cabin so will see .Any suggestions on where to ride or things to see would be appreciated

elf

That will be a good spot. You’ll be able to get on the moose walk trails and the trails thru Tettagouchee State Park along with being a short run up to the state trail. Be sure to go south one day and ride down to Gooseberry Falls, go north towards Ely, go up the shore further to the Gunflint. Lots of options.

SledTL

Thanks Elf. We will be up there Jan 22 to the 29th staying at a cabin called the sled shed in Beaver bay across the highway from Beaver bay Sports I hope thats a good spot to base out of they said trail is right out the door of cabin so will see .Any suggestions on where to ride or things to see would be appreciated
Make sure to stop at the trail sheds and overlooks. It’s one thing that the area benefits from. Usually someone will have a fire going and it’s a great view. Good pull off areas and plenty of space to relax.

elf

Make sure to stop at the trail sheds and overlooks. It’s one thing that the area benefits from. Usually someone will have a fire going and it’s a great view. Good pull off areas and plenty of space to relax.
You probably already know this but just in case. The Beargrease sled dog race will be running up the State Trail on Sunday. Will probably be in the Beaver Bay/Silver Bay area around 2-4:00. The trail will stay open but you'll want to keep your eyes open for them on the trail. Its a neat opportunity to go watch them also. My kids and I would go out to trail intersections and watch them go by.

saber1

We are up here now in east beaver bay not staying til sunday but the signs are up already about sled dog race its been a great few days up here trails are all in great shape. Very little traffic saw maybe 12 sleds today.

Reactions: elf

elf

We are up here now in east beaver bay not staying til sunday but the signs are up already about sled dog race its been a great few days up here trails are all in great shape. Very little traffic saw maybe 12 sleds today.
Glad the trails were good and you had a good time!