North Shore

John L M

Anyone up for a saddlebag trip up the North Shore / Arrowhead region of NE Minnesoteric next week ? Like to go midweek to avoid high traffic like Monday to Wednesday or Tuesday to Thursday. Lots of snow there and trails are great. Probably meet at a trail side parking lot in Duluth or Two Harbors. Usually spend the first night in Grand Marais via CJ Ramstad trail , second night in Ely then on the third day make our way back but none of that is set in stone If that mileage sounds too high or we could add an extra day. I ride a 900 Enduro , have been riding for 50+ years and am comfortable running about any pace but not interested in running crazy/dangerous with “snowcross wannabes”. At 61 years old my riding group has thinned down so just looking to make a nice run with like minded riders. Don’t hesitate if you’re younger or have kids as I welcome all. If you have a group that’s fine too , I’ll be your “tour guide”. I live in Brainerd MN and have a 3 place enclosed trailer pulled by a crew cab so if you’re near maybe I could pick you up.

moose822

That is a great trip. Did it with a group a couple of years ago. I can't make it next week but would love to do it another time.

John L M

Saber
If you’re from IN then a 3 day run may not be worth it for you. In that case we could leave from my place in Brainerd and make it a 5 day run ; day 1 Brainerd to Two Harbors , day 2 to Grand Marais , day 3 to Ely , day 4 to Grand Rapids , day 5 back to Brainerd. Sounds like a nice Monday to Friday trip but depending on conditions we may have to adjust , Arrowhead region is usually I’ve ridden this whole area many times so I know my way around. Keep my number handy if not this season maybe next.

John L M

Meant to say : Arrowhead region is usually good to great conditions but some years Brainerd area to Duluth and/or Brainerd to Grand Rapids is marginal. Just have to make a plan when the time comes..

Hoosier

Anyone up for a saddlebag trip up the North Shore / Arrowhead region of NE Minnesoteric next week ? Like to go midweek to avoid high traffic like Monday to Wednesday or Tuesday to Thursday. Lots of snow there and trails are great. Probably meet at a trail side parking lot in Duluth or Two Harbors. Usually spend the first night in Grand Marais via CJ Ramstad trail , second night in Ely then on the third day make our way back but none of that is set in stone If that mileage sounds too high or we could add an extra day. I ride a 900 Enduro , have been riding for 50+ years and am comfortable running about any pace but not interested in running crazy/dangerous with “snowcross wannabes”. At 61 years old my riding group has thinned down so just looking to make a nice run with like minded riders. Don’t hesitate if you’re younger or have kids as I welcome all. If you have a group that’s fine too , I’ll be your “tour guide”. I live in Brainerd MN and have a 3 place enclosed trailer pulled by a crew cab so if you’re near maybe I could pick you up.
What kind of miles is a trip like that? We were thinking of heading up that direction on Saturday March 5 and then riding that Sunday - Wednesday. Trails usually hold up into March? I know every year is different. I've only ridden once in MN and it was a late season trip when everything was melting so not a good representation.

John L M

The North Shore Trail which runs from Duluth to Grand Marais is about 150 miles , Two Harbors is about 20 miles from Duluth. As I recall Two Harbors to Ely is about 100 miles. The Taconite Trail runs from Ely to Grand Rapids and covers about 150 miles. Within this area (Arrowhead region) are lots of trails so adding miles or shortening your day is easy to do.
Conditions in early March is usually good as most of this area is heavily wooded so as the days get longer the trails are shaded. This year should be better than average since the Arrowhead has had some nice snowfall.
Get a map and have a local mark a few gas stations and you should have a great trip on well maintained and scenic trails.

saber1

yea was looking at the maps not to many spots on the map marked for gas not like riding the UP

John L M

Just a note. If traveling along the Taconite Trail do not count on the Scenic Pines Store for gas or food as they have closed. Antler Lodge is not far away for a gas stop. I believe both of these are listed on Polaris app “Ride Command” as well as others.

Hoosier

The North Shore Trail which runs from Duluth to Grand Marais is about 150 miles , Two Harbors is about 20 miles from Duluth. As I recall Two Harbors to Ely is about 100 miles. The Taconite Trail runs from Ely to Grand Rapids and covers about 150 miles. Within this area (Arrowhead region) are lots of trails so adding miles or shortening your day is easy to do.
Conditions in early March is usually good as most of this area is heavily wooded so as the days get longer the trails are shaded. This year should be better than average since the Arrowhead has had some nice snowfall.
Get a map and have a local mark a few gas stations and you should have a great trip on well maintained and scenic trails.
Thanks - good info. Going to be riding for 4 days and probably saddlebagging. Kind of figuring roughly 200-250 miles a day, start in the Duluth/Two harbors area, go out 2 days and back 2 days. Prefer windy and scenic trails over grades.

Hoosier

How are conditions holding up? Still looking into driving up this Saturday and starting riding on Sunday.

Hoosier

We ended up heading up to MN last week, riding Sunday - Wednesday. Started in Two Harbors, rode up towards the trail that goes through the boundary waters and out a ways. Next day went out to Grand Portage and rode all the loops out there, and then went to Grand Marais for the night. Next day we went South and then back up and stayed in Eli. Last night we rode back to Two Harbors.

Had a great time. Nearly all trails were in great shape and plenty of snow. Best part was probably all the little loops out by Grand Portage, just with so much snow, no traffic and all the fire roads. Had a few stucks in some of it. Not sure if it's always that nice up there or if the snow conditions were unusually good, but we were impressed. The elevation changes and all the twisty trails as you get further NE really stood out.

With the warm coming this week I think we hit it at the right time. Would like to go back, maybe end up crossing the border and riding on the other side too.

Reactions: GTL

xcr440

We ended up heading up to MN last week, riding Sunday - Wednesday. Started in Two Harbors, rode up towards the trail that goes through the boundary waters and out a ways. Next day went out to Grand Portage and rode all the loops out there, and then went to Grand Marais for the night. Next day we went South and then back up and stayed in Eli. Last night we rode back to Two Harbors.

Had a great time. Nearly all trails were in great shape and plenty of snow. Best part was probably all the little loops out by Grand Portage, just with so much snow, no traffic and all the fire roads. Had a few stucks in some of it. Not sure if it's always that nice up there or if the snow conditions were unusually good, but we were impressed. The elevation changes and all the twisty trails as you get further NE really stood out.

With the warm coming this week I think we hit it at the right time. Would like to go back, maybe end up crossing the border and riding on the other side too.
Rode a number of those trails a week ago also.

A buddy and I have always thought about riding up into Canada, but after talking with some Canadians from just south of Thunder Bay, we have scratched that off our list. They said they have this wonderful trails system, but most of it doesn't go anywhere. They said they come down to MN to ride, since it is better riding, and you have actual places to go.