Northern Lights

snowmomof2

John we live approx. 30 miles west of Green Bay in a very rural area, normally during the winter we would see the Northern Lights quite frequently, however, this winter we have not seen them at all. Any thoughts why? Thanks, by the way I LOVE this site!

michaeladams

very little extra solar activity.the sun has an 11 year cycle and we are at the slow end of that cycle.it will pick up.then the global warming experts will be at it again

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That is pretty much it, low solar storm activity, so not as much streaming towards us to interact with the earths magnetic field and upper atmosphere and thus create the Northern Lights.

-John

snowfan470

MichaelAdams...i dont know if they'll be starting at it again...the sunspot number for this next solar cycle (24) is forecasted to be very low...only around 80-90 sunspots at max. This will probably be one of the weakest solar cycles in the last century...and this "minimum" that we are in has lasted around 2-3 times longer than the last minumum between cycles 22 and 23. So we'll see. There is some research that even shows that sunspots my altogether dissappear by the year 2015... http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm

snowfan470

lol I'm with ya guys! I'd love to ride through town on my sled instead of by car! ... which is something that could happen during an mini ice age. =P Haha Im not sure i'd want a "snowball" earth tho...that might cause us to ride south. lol