Novi show

polarisrider1

John, can we expect to see you making a "Special appearance" at the Tog. or Dobson booth? Or maybe just wondering around like the bulk of us? The 12 hour ride goes by fast.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, it would have to be a 1 hour flight to coax me down there.

-John

frnash

I think the Concord no longer flys the Houghton/Detroit Metro route. Heck traffic and crime is abundant down here, adds to the experience! Down side is Strudel and Pasties are few and far between.
All is not lost, at least for pasty:
There are several options in the Detroit Metro area:

1. Barb's Pasties & Pizza (610 S. Main St., Clawson, MI 48017)
2. Weldon's Pasties, three locations:
a. Livoniaclosest to Novi! (19161 Merriman Rd, Livonia, MI 48152)
b. Sterling Heights (2123 15 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48310)
c. Keego Harbor (2038 Cass Lake Rd, Keego Harbor, MI 48320)

There's lots o' Finns around Livonia, Farmington, Farmington Hills, and various northern suburbs of Detroit. Didja think they could be without pasty? :) There's also the:
Finnish Cultural Center & Hall
35200 West 8 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI 1.8 mi SW
(248) 478-6939

History note:
There used to be quite a "Little Finland" neighborhood around Livernois and Fenkell in Detroit in the 1930s - 1950s. As a kid, I knew a bunch of folks that lived there — including my paternal grandparents — although we lived about 3 - 4 miles WNW of there. I think they all headed out to the Livonia, Farmington, Farmington Hills area, and a few to the northern suburbs after the 1967 Detroit Riot, if not before.

Last edited:

Dave_B

The Keego Harbor location is closed. Not sure on the rest. There is also another one that opened up near me. They say they use grandmas good old fashion Finnish recipe. Haven't tried them yet tho.

Dave

russholio

Indeed. What would I do without all these fine services? I'm on my way now to Barb's to pick up a couple pasties for the wife and me!

russholio

I'm pleased to report that Barb's pasties were well-worth the twelve mile round-trip to get them. Thanks for the heads-up, Nash -- now I'll never be subjected to having to eat grocery store pasties again!

Sorry for the hijack, fellas.....carry on!

frnash

Nash, my search for Grand Rapids, MI. only turned up Pastries. Need your help. Wet Burritos are the mainstay around here.
Sorry, I have no direct knowledge of the Grand Rapids area. Any significant number of Finns around there? Not that I know of. (My post regarding pasties in the Detroit area was not from a raw search, but from friends and relatives still living in the area, with the search just to provide specific, details & locations.)

Wet Burritos? Hmmm … all I can think of is a wet burro. Didja ever smell a wet burro? :eek:

Last edited:

Dave_B

John
I think we would all be willing to chip in at leat $20.00 for your gas to get down here. Plus, Wayne and I will buy all the Blue Lights you need. I'm sure Rick will get you a vendor pass and you can stay at my place.

The show needs you!

Dave

polarisrider1

Sorry, I have no direct knowledge of the Grand Rapids area. Any significant number of Finns around there? Not that I know of. (My post regarding pasties in the Detroit area was not from a raw search, but from friends and relatives still living in the area, with the search just to provide specific, details & locations.)

Wet Burritos? Hmmm … all I can think of is a wet burro. Didja ever smell a wet burro? :eek:
I have been told that wet Burritos are a regional thing. All Dutch and illegals from south of the border hang out in West Michigan.