Odds of rideable ice on Lake Gogebic for New Years

bladeguy

I know we are off to a slow start. However, Accuweather in their long range forecast shows three weeks of lows between 2 and 13 degrees every day heading into New Years weekend. Now I realize that the temperatures are as much historical average as science and that anything can happen. However, that doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. My question is this: If these temperatures do come about - highs below freezing and lows in single digits with a few low doubles for three weeks in a row - would that be enough for safe ice on Lake Gogebic? Thoughts?

P.S. Feel free to post updates on this thread regarding LG Ice as time goes on...

Highflyer

I know we are off to a slow start. However, Accuweather in their long range forecast shows three weeks of lows between 2 and 13 degrees every day heading into New Years weekend. Now I realize that the temperatures are as much historical average as science and that anything can happen. However, that doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. My question is this: If these temperatures do come about - highs below freezing and lows in single digits with a few low doubles for three weeks in a row - would that be enough for safe ice on Lake Gogebic? Thoughts?

P.S. Feel free to post updates on this thread regarding LG Ice as time goes on...

The ice fisherman on that lake will have the real truth and but based off my experience and the temps you described then I feel it will be safe for sled travel by New Years. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying it by alarmist but three weeks of below freezing weather (especially getting in the single digits) would leave me feeling confident that we will have ice by new years. Keep in mind, its important to follow the weather to make sure that what is being predicited actually happens. I wake up every morning to check out the low temps at my cabin in Northern Wisconsin. Some of the small lakes already had ice last week however it melted with the rain. I'll bet many of the small lakes up North start to freeze over by December 10th ( if not before ) given the forecasted temps. Then 21 days to make ice additional ice. Pray it stays cold and no warm ups!!

Last year my lake was open water on December 23rd and we were riding on it by January 5th. While a much smaller lake the LG it at least provides an outlook on how things can change. They can make ice fast given the right temps.

Disclaimer: Yes, check with all local dealerships, resorts, ice fisherman and anyone else you can find in the area to get as much info as possible before you let it rip!

mezz

The temps may be conducive to make the ice, then you have to take into consideration that snow cover will affect the condition & quality of the ice. Keep an active line of communication with not only the weather, but the locals that use the lake for fishing etc... 21 day's really isn't a very long timespan to create consistently good ice IMO.-Mezz

bladeguy

The ice fisherman on that lake will have the real truth and but based off my experience and the temps you described then I feel it will be safe for sled travel by New Years. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying it by alarmist but three weeks of below freezing weather (especially getting in the single digits) would leave me feeling confident that we will have ice by new years. Keep in mind, its important to follow the weather to make sure that what is being predicited actually happens. I wake up every morning to check out the low temps at my cabin in Northern Wisconsin. Some of the small lakes already had ice last week however it melted with the rain. I'll bet many of the small lakes up North start to freeze over by December 10th ( if not before ) given the forecasted temps. Then 21 days to make ice additional ice. Pray it stays cold and no warm ups!!

Last year my lake was open water on December 23rd and we were riding on it by January 5th. While a much smaller lake the LG it at least provides an outlook on how things can change. They can make ice fast given the right temps.

Disclaimer: Yes, check with all local dealerships, resorts, ice fisherman and anyone else you can find in the area to get as much info as possible before you let it rip!
Yes - I will certainly be checking the actuals...

- - - Updated - - -

The temps may be conducive to make the ice, then you have to take into consideration that snow cover will affect the condition & quality of the ice. Keep an active line of communication with not only the weather, but the locals that use the lake for fishing etc... 21 day's really isn't a very long timespan to create consistently good ice IMO.-Mezz
Yes I will be checking with locals. I will have to make a call on the trip two weeks in advance, so I will be looking at the past weather and predicted weather to make the call....

bladeguy

btw I will never be the first one across. Only if everyone is riding the lake will I ride. However, I have to make the call on the trip a couple weeks in advance so I will have the actual temperatures and the ten day forecast to make my decision of go or no go.

POLARISDAN

btw I will never be the first one across. Only if everyone is riding the lake will I ride. However, I have to make the call on the trip a couple weeks in advance so I will have the actual temperatures and the ten day forecast to make my decision of go or no go.

why is riding the lake a go or no go? there is so much other good riding around there that the lake would be the last place id ride..ill cross or hit it when its late jan or feb, but even then its freakin dangerous...sure the bar hoppin is fun..but ud cancel a trip?

sitting in bergland bay bar last year right after we cut over and a cupl guys blew past us and kept going..we knew it was thin but they were screamin..20 min later sure enuf..first responders outside coming..i thnk they survived because luckily they were close to shore..its a crazy lake

yamadooed

There will be safe ice on the west side to ride by new years... If not you'll get my full unconditional money back guarantee... BTW you don't need ice to ride the area as there's trail loop around the lake...

bladeguy

why is riding the lake a go or no go? there is so much other good riding around there that the lake would be the last place id ride..ill cross or hit it when its late jan or feb, but even then its freakin dangerous...sure the bar hoppin is fun..but ud cancel a trip?

sitting in bergland bay bar last year right after we cut over and a cupl guys blew past us and kept going..we knew it was thin but they were screamin..20 min later sure enuf..first responders outside coming..i thnk they survived because luckily they were close to shore..its a crazy lake
Staying on the lake with a group. Call us lazy but we want to be able to get dinner, etc without having to go all the way around the lake. If I was staying in Bergland I would agree that it is not important as everything you need is right there. At the end of the day a nice easy ride home across the lake is part of the plan.

Sledhead!

There is a spot on Gogebic, it is East of where you get off to hit Bergland, Antonios...etc. Regardless of how cold it is or has been, that area has current and never freezes, I bet that is where those guys went in. Especially if it was in Jan/Feb.
I stay on Gogebic as well when I go up and totally get the lake part. We always use the lake, but read the reports from Fish Tales, Hoop and the fisherman before heading out. If the shantees are up, you're probably pretty safe! However, that lake can get some huge ice upheavals, there was one about 3-4ft tall in near Fish Tales about 3-4 years ago that someone hit at night and messed them up pretty good from what I hear. I always like to to do recon mission in the morning to make sure I know a clean path without any obstacles and try to follow that at night on the way home:)

Like most other smart people on this thread, monitor actual temps and check BBB, Fish Tales, Hoop...etc and get actual intel on the current conditions. Hoping winter shows up like the rest of you.....Now I am glad my trip is early Feb, from the sound of things, may have timed this trip just right!

bladeguy

There is a spot on Gogebic, it is East of where you get off to hit Bergland, Antonios...etc. Regardless of how cold it is or has been, that area has current and never freezes, I bet that is where those guys went in. Especially if it was in Jan/Feb.
I stay on Gogebic as well when I go up and totally get the lake part. We always use the lake, but read the reports from Fish Tales, Hoop and the fisherman before heading out. If the shantees are up, you're probably pretty safe! However, that lake can get some huge ice upheavals, there was one about 3-4ft tall in near Fish Tales about 3-4 years ago that someone hit at night and messed them up pretty good from what I hear. I always like to to do recon mission in the morning to make sure I know a clean path without any obstacles and try to follow that at night on the way home:)

Like most other smart people on this thread, monitor actual temps and check BBB, Fish Tales, Hoop...etc and get actual intel on the current conditions. Hoping winter shows up like the rest of you.....Now I am glad my trip is early Feb, from the sound of things, may have timed this trip just right!
We stay on the main drags - Bergland to Hoop, Hoop to Fish Tales, Fish Tales to Root Cellar, Fish Tales to Gogebic Lodge - that's it. If I don't see a lot of tracks I know something is wrong. Only other exit I take is to Timberline.

durphee

That's definitely a tricky lake. Was up in Gogebic a couple years ago sittin at BBB and they were showing a video of a recovery team pulling out a sled from the lake. We were watching it and just chatting about how scary that would be. At the end of the bar was the actual guy who went into the lake. Happened on a Friday and this was Sunday, he was still rattled and shaken about it. BTW, it was mid January and cold for a long time before this happened. A heave formed and ice around it broke and it looked solid but wasn't. Always be careful on all lakes.

scott_b

My best guess at this time is a 50/50 shot. We have a house on the west shore and even when the lake freezes and people are riding it there can be some really bad slush (like you can't make its through) for a while after the main freeze. Particularly by shore when you come up into the yards.

Last year the lake did not freeze over completely until Dec 18-20th. There were people riding near the shore line by NYE, but you wouldn't have caught me out on the lake.

Where is the house you are renting?

POLARISDAN

Staying on the lake with a group. Call us lazy but we want to be able to get dinner, etc without having to go all the way around the lake. If I was staying in Bergland I would agree that it is not important as everything you need is right there. At the end of the day a nice easy ride home across the lake is part of the plan.

yea no doubt the trail around is foreversville, and usually crap..i guess i was meaning other areas to ride to, or even stay as to not have to cancel trip..

1fujifilm

Winter of 2017/2018?

Highflyer

My best guess at this time is a 50/50 shot. We have a house on the west shore and even when the lake freezes and people are riding it there can be some really bad slush (like you can't make its through) for a while after the main freeze. Particularly by shore when you come up into the yards.

Last year the lake did not freeze over completely until Dec 18-20th. There were people riding near the shore line by NYE, but you wouldn't have caught me out on the lake.

Where is the house you are renting?

The bold above is what always blows me away about Lake Gogebic. Being such a large body of water it always seems to freeze over fast. My smaller lake (100 Acres) in Northern Wisconsin was open water on December 23rd last year.

whitedust

The bold above is what always blows me away about Lake Gogebic. Being such a large body of water it always seems to freeze over fast. My smaller lake (100 Acres) in Northern Wisconsin was open water on December 23rd last year.

It is all about the depth of the lake .... shallow freezes first....LG not that deep... size doesn't matter but wind can keep some areas open longer. Deep lakes are the last to thaw & last to freeze. Know the lake before crossing & if it has slush. Slush can cause you many problems even tho you have 3 feet of ice.

T

Tracker

It is all about the depth of the lake .... shallow freezes first....LG not that deep... size doesn't matter but wind can keep some areas open longer. Deep lakes are the last to thaw & last to freeze. Know the lake before crossing & if it has slush. Slush can cause you many problems even tho you have 3 feet of ice.

ha....nothing like standing in 2 feet of water and slush whilst the cold rushes in around yer feet whilst trying like he!! to get the sled moving forward...LOL