Off trail riding on the local news

ddhanna

After all our discussions about off trail riding and how to stop it, one thing we can agree about is that the violators probably don't read John Dee forums and we are just preaching to the choir. Last night on the Rhinelander news station, they did a story on the subject which is much more likely to target the violators. Seems to me if we could find more ways to deliver the message (rather than snowmobile forums) like this one, it would go a long way. Maybe AWSC could part with some of their (our) money to fund advertising like this.

Walle31

Not sure if this is a viable option but I would assume members of the club have trail cameras. Could those be set up at "bad" areas and possible citations written out by the DNR? You will never get all the violators but may be able to get a few?

attakman

We have a new DNR warden in Tomahawk, and he's writing tickets to Trespassers (no warnings)....he's also writing HUGE tickets for loud cans/pipes (no warnings)....which the area clubs back 100 percent

Was told Wisconsin is looking at banning mountain/deep snow sleds (with deep lug, long tracks)...as these seem to be the guys causing most of the trespass/noise issues

mezz

We have a new DNR warden in Tomahawk, and he's writing tickets to Trespassers (no warnings)....he's also writing HUGE tickets for loud cans/pipes (no warnings)....which the area clubs back 100 percent

Was told Wisconsin is looking at banning mountain/deep snow sleds (with deep lug, long tracks)...as these seem to be the guys causing most of the trespass/noise issues
Banning Mtn/Deep snow sleds is not going to fly, might as well shut down the trail system. There are a lot of folks that simply like the ride of the longer tracked sleds. Besides, there is nothing stopping a trail sled from going off trail. We rode off trail in the deep and steep for many years, it can still be done if you have the desire & know how to ride.

SHOOT2KILL

Had lunch @ the Wolfs Den in Mercer yesterday...Place was packed with Ricky Racers,,,Some were well on their drunken way at 1p.m....Back room was full of MX helmets, Goggles, backpacks...Bartender girl was carding everyone of them as they sat down at the bar or tables....Funny Shyt...1 punkazz got smart with her and she told the whole group to shut him up or leave...

Last edited:

cooksend

I think stereo typing the riders simply by what they have for a sled is wrong. It is also wrong to tell someone that rides 80% off trail (legally) that his mountain sled is not legal to ride in this state.

Need to fix the root cause (as impossible as it feels). The manufactures, Clubs and all of us as riders need to keep hammering this into those getting it wrong!

old abe

Thats a good point but I had heard, not sure if it's true or not, that LE will not write a citation unless they see the perp actually violating/tresspassing in person.
pclark, I've also heard this, and if true I call it a BS way of upholding the law, and protecting the rights of private, or public landowners! No way around that!

I know very well I'm beating on a HORNETS nest here, however I totally agree with every statement above. There are way too many long track, deep lug track sleds that are being ALSO used as trail sleds now days! FACT! It takes keeping a groomed trail to the point of almost impossible to keep the trails maintained in any lasting manner. Plus the extra expenses, whether it be the time, or the $$$$$ costs is crazy. Many of the groomer operators are ABSOLUTE VOLUNTEERS! THEY ARE NOT PAID! What happens when they finally quit as their frustrations are not worth it?o_O

SHOOT2KILL

I agree...I had a real nice early morning ride today...I took Tr #8w off the 51n grade...Iwas the second sled on 8w after the groomer...Love them twistys all the way to BoomBa Bar...Every forest road that comes off that trail had tracks on it...Not sure if it was private land or State Forest land...

cooksend

pclark, I've also heard this, and if true I call it a BS way of upholding the law, and protecting the rights of private, or public landowners! No way around that!

I know very well I'm beating on a HORNETS nest here, however I totally agree with every statement above. There are way too many long track, deep lug track sleds that are being ALSO used as trail sleds now days! FACT! It takes keeping a groomed trail to the point of almost impossible to keep the trails maintained in any lasting manner. Plus the extra expenses, whether it be the time, or the $$$$$ costs is crazy. Many of the groomer operators are ABSOLUTE VOLUNTEERS! THEY ARE NOT PAID! What happens when they finally quit as their frustrations are not worth it?o_O
The mountain segment of the snowmobile world is growing dramatically and yes so many people think they need big paddles and super long tracks to go play on a lake. I however don't have in my budget the ability to have a $15,000 mountain sled and a $15,000 trail sled so my RMK gets trail ridden a couple times a season. The dusted off corners are certainly not from me. My sled flat out tips over in a corner and can't dust it clean like a trail sled can.
My point is that it's the User and not the Tool.

renegade

Thats a good point but I had heard, not sure if it's true or not, that LE will not write a citation unless they see the perp actually violating/tresspassing in person.
A few years ago we had a warden come speak at a club meeting and he mentioned to try and get registration numbers if anyone spotted off trail violaters and he would investigate and write tickets so I don't see why they wouldn't with a camera. They damn well should. If they are worried about the owner of the sled saying he borrowed it then he can get the money from his buddy.

wiscrev

Nothing wrong with long tracks [of corse,137-144' are no long considered long tracks like in my day]. IMHO it's the deep lugs. Wouldn't bother me at all if they restricted the depth of lugs. Keep it 2" and under. I've seen too many deep lugs ruin a trail.

old abe

Ver
The mountain segment of the snowmobile world is growing dramatically and yes so many people think they need big paddles and super long tracks to go play on a lake. I however don't have in my budget the ability to have a $15,000 mountain sled and a $15,000 trail sled so my RMK gets trail ridden a couple times a season. The dusted off corners are certainly not from me. My sled flat out tips over in a corner and can't dust it clean like a trail sled can.
My point is that it's the User and not the Tool
Very well stated cooksend, and I absolutely agree on the"USER", and not the tool! And many out there have the same budget problem as you. So therein lies the cause, the USER not being responcable when riding groomed trails. Trail sleds don't work off trail, but the off trail sled will work on trail. Just as with guns, weapons, it's the user!

ICT Sledder

The off trail clowns aren't going to listen to anyone. That much is clear if you see their behavior on forums and in the facebook groups. They're like children who never grew up.

The answer is stiff fines that escalate to impounding very quickly. Say $500 first strike, $1,000 second strike, and 12-24 month impound of sled on third strike. Then afterwards put a GPS tracker on them that reports when the sled is outside of a trail right-of-way and on private property (like an ankle bracelet).

ICT Sledder

That certainly doesn't effect them in their revenue drives via speed cameras and red lights cameras in various areas across the US.

attakman

Banning Mtn/Deep snow sleds is not going to fly, might as well shut down the trail system. There are a lot of folks that simply like the ride of the longer tracked sleds. Besides, there is nothing stopping a trail sled from going off trail. We rode off trail in the deep and steep for many years, it can still be done if you have the desire & know how to ride.
Ask your self...how many of these sleds have loud cans on them? I haven't seen a single mountain/deep snow sled that didn't have a can on it...I get why they do it out west...but it is killing us here with land owners...and these guys do not care....also with a two inch lug and our groomed trail base..which is maybe 3 to 5 inches with ice on the bottom layer...theres no way its getting enough lube to the slides..so..alot of these guys (not all)..are kicking it off the trail, to get fresh snow into the rails..they have to or they are melting their slides off the rails...and thats where our trespassing issues arise...two inch lugs do a ton of damage to a midwest trail base (unless u are in the snow belt)....I dont see how a 154 or longer sled would be any fun on our tight wooded trails...it would be like driving a school bus through the trees....plus I've seen these mountain sleds with severe lug damage (ripped, torn and missing lugs), which tells me they are being driven at high speed in low snow conditions...they simply weren't designed to be on groomed trails

attakman

The off trail clowns aren't going to listen to anyone. That much is clear if you see their behavior on forums and in the facebook groups. They're like children who never grew up.

The answer is stiff fines that escalate to impounding very quickly. Say $500 first strike, $1,000 second strike, and 12-24 month impound of sled on third strike. Then afterwards put a GPS tracker on them that reports when the sled is outside of a trail right-of-way and on private property (like an ankle bracelet).
I like the idea...but here in Lincoln and Oneida county ..its already a $1,000 dollar fine for a loud can, first offense (it's the officers discretion wether he nails you or not)...and honestly...we've had such problem with it here...that all three clubs are sick of fielding complaint calls from land owners about them (usually with the threat of a trail being closed for good)...so we've told officers to write tickets...to every single loud sled, and every single trespasser...leave your loud cans at home...put your stock muffler back on it you want to ride here