Off trail riding

chicagosledder

Can anyone recommend any off trail riding areas besides Twin Lakes (no lodging available). I looked into Munising and Ontonogan but I don't know how the conditions are.

sMgE46M

munising area im pretty sure just got a white out blizzard last weekend... my buddy was in that area and was snowed in Friday and Saturday. The pictures he had on his facey spaceys looked like pretty good depth (one is up to his waist). He also mentioned some drifting - makes things very interesting sometimes in off trail (could be 5 feet in some places).

There are LOTS of off trail riding places... Just out of curiosity how did you find your spots in twin lakes? You explore... Do the same thing just in a different area.

There are the plains or something out by Munising as well... Its pretty much land that is open to off trail riders. Never been there.

Explore. Be adventurous.

chicagosledder

Twin Lakes has some excellent off trail, you just have to be careful that you are not on someone's land. I talked to locals and made sure of that. The last thing I want to do is piss off land owners and have it effect the rest of us riders.

sMgE46M

Twin Lakes has some excellent off trail, you just have to be careful that you are not on someone's land. I talked to locals and made sure of that. The last thing I want to do is piss off land owners and have it effect the rest of us riders.

munising is easier to get rooms IMO, lots of play spots.

Its worth a trip.

packerlandrider

I have never ridden the Eastern U.P., but after having worked out there this past summer in a land management setting I can tell you that the area between Shingleton and Seney north towards Grand Marais is all but uninhibited in the summer (with the majority being public state land), and I would imagine even less in the winter. Obviously a plat book is always the most trusted resource (I always use mine when exploring in the Keweenaw), but given the lack of human activity in the general area above, I would have no problem just going and start exploring this area once you are a few miles away from towns/plowed roads (very few of either in this area).

This area certainly doesn't have the topographic changes of the Western U.P., but has tons of forest roads and open areas to go and explore. After spending the summer there and envisioning it in the winter, I can't wait to one day try riding there!

sweeperguy

I have never ridden the Eastern U.P., but after having worked out there this past summer in a land management setting I can tell you that the area between Shingleton and Seney north towards Grand Marais is all but uninhibited in the summer (with the majority being public state land), and I would imagine even less in the winter. Obviously a plat book is always the most trusted resource (I always use mine when exploring in the Keweenaw), but given the lack of human activity in the general area above, I would have no problem just going and start exploring this area once you are a few miles away from towns/plowed roads (very few of either in this area).

This area certainly doesn't have the topographic changes of the Western U.P., but has tons of forest roads and open areas to go and explore. After spending the summer there and envisioning it in the winter, I can't wait to one day try riding there!

All pretty heavily signed, stay on trail, I was suprised at the signage. And lack of off trail access. Paradise to Gr. MARAIS had less signs but just when you'd think it'd be okay, BOOM another sign. Could be risky. Was really suprised that the Indians at Bay Mills, just east of there, did not allow off trail.

packerlandrider

All pretty heavily signed, stay on trail, I was suprised at the signage. And lack of off trail access. Paradise to Gr. MARAIS had less signs but just when you'd think it'd be okay, BOOM another sign. Could be risky. Was really suprised that the Indians at Bay Mills, just east of there, did not allow off trail.

K my apologies then for maybe being mistaken. While I was on quite a few stretches of trail in this area over the summer (especially the Crazy 8s), I didn't see any stay on trail signs, but maybe they only put them up in the winter??? Regardless, there is so many fewer people and so much more state land over in that area compared to the Keweenaw area snowbelts.

polarisrider1

K my apologies then for maybe being mistaken. While I was on quite a few stretches of trail in this area over the summer (especially the Crazy 8s), I didn't see any stay on trail signs, but maybe they only put them up in the winter??? Regardless, there is so many fewer people and so much more state land over in that area compared to the Keweenaw area snowbelts.

Bit your tongue.