On the Map Towns

chords

I see all these towns that appear on the map in your area that are pretty much unknown. Seneca, Phillipsville, Fulton. But I always wondered, can you describe or have any pictures of downtown Bumbletown ?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the towns you mention are left overs from the mining era, in which time the population was nearly 10 times what it is now. Lots of towns popped up around mines, mine locations or processing areas. Once they mining left, the smaller areas got even smaller like Seneca, Bumbletown, Phillipsville and are now called "locations". Meaning they are not incorporated as a town or village, but still have enough homes/residents to be recognized as as a neighborhood.

Then there are some spots that are names only like Ojibway, Sawmill, Chickensville. Well, that last one actually has some folks living there but is technically part of Hubbell.

-John

wirev

The same is true for "towns" from the Ironwood to Covington areas: Agate, Topaz, Tula, Matchwood, Ethlewood, Theilers, Conorville, White City, etc. All these were towns at one time, usually on the rail line for the timber industry.

chords

Thanks John, alot of history in those homes and " towns "

Having a post office meant the town was a lifeline back then, as anywhere in MI with one was , and those towns and villages are still active just for that reason alone.