Once in Your Lifetime

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
July 22 through the 28th. Circle that week on your calendar for the annual Air Show in Oshkosh, called AirVenture. This is an event you need to see for yourself, at least once in your lifetime. This will be my eighth year as a paid volunteer as they skipped a year during the Covid Panic. I work in logistics moving people, planes and everything in between. It's a challenge but it's a lot of fun and the numbers for this event are staggering.

AIRVENTURE 2023 BY THE NUMBERS​

Attendance: More than 670,000 people, from 92 different countries
Total Aircraft: 10,000-plus
Total Showplanes: 3,365
Campers: 40,000 people
Yeah, so that's a lot of hot dogs, burgers, bottled water and sunscreen. All under the watchful eye of the Busiest Control Tower on the planet that week! The price of tickets may raise an eyebrow but if you have kids, they get in free thanks to Boeing. Lodging is going to be a challenge for anything between Green Bay and Fon du lac at this time, camping is a viable option or a reasonable commute. Milwaukee is a short one-hour drive on the Interstate.

A couple of links, the first is the highlights from years past.

The next one is that of the Warbirds, some of these planes are now more than 70 years old and still flying.
So, there you have it. Tickets are reduced until the end of June. You still have plenty of time to get your ducks in a row to maybe take in something that everyone should see once in their lifetime. The following link will answer all your questions. Hope to see you there!

THE OSHKOSH RULES​

1.) Treat everyone with kindness.
2.) Be respectful around all aircraft.
3.) Pick up trash if you see any.
4.) Thank the volunteers.​

wiscrev

Thanks, Gary. It is an awesome show. Wish I could help during the week this year but haven't found lodging. Also, don't veterans get in free ro at a reduced price?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, Veterans get in with a daily discount of $43.

Sorry you can't make it Rev. If I ever go up in one of those stunt planes, I'm gonna need you there to pray the wings don't fall off!

wiscrev

Yup, Veterans get in with a daily discount of $43.

Sorry you can't make it Rev. If I ever go up in one of those stunt planes, I'm gonna need you there to pray the wings don't fall off!
Hey, I'll go with ya. I'll even hold your hand; other hand will be busy in prayer mode for the both of us, lol.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so one week to go to AirVenture in Oshkosh. We have one more meeting for organization and then it's Go Time. Campers have been filtering in all this past week. In all the wisdom that Madison can offer, we've got lane restrictions on the nearby Interstate for construction so be patient in traffic. Both Appleton and Oshkosh are down to two lanes in places. South of Oshkosh, it's clear all the way to Milwaukee. For those that can't make it, I'll try to post pictures as I did last year if my schedule permits.

If you're camping, remember the bug spray. We grow'm kinda big around here.
bugs.jpg

And someone said they saw a Gator in one of the ponds...
Gators.jpg

The following video from years past indicates the scope of AirVenture in Oshkosh. Hope you can join us!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will be my last entry on this thread. It's getting rather lengthy and I'd like to post current events, links, photos, etc. so watch for a new thread to follow.
Our last organizational meeting was on Tuesday and we have our marching orders and everything's a go for AirVenture 24 in Oshkosh. I was at the airport yesterday and everything is in the final stages of prep and the grounds are drying out nicely after all that rain. The forecast looks good for the start of things on Monday. For those that are attending for the first time, this is definitely a
Once In A Lifetime event.

wiscrev

This will be my last entry on this thread. It's getting rather lengthy and I'd like to post current events, links, photos, etc. so watch for a new thread to follow.
Our last organizational meeting was on Tuesday and we have our marching orders and everything's a go for AirVenture 24 in Oshkosh. I was at the airport yesterday and everything is in the final stages of prep and the grounds are drying out nicely after all that rain. The forecast looks good for the start of things on Monday. For those that are attending for the first time, this is definitely a
Once In A Lifetime event.

Wish I could makeit. It s a great show.