Oneida County Wisconsin opener

attakman

Like they said....USE CAUTION...I was out brushing, knocking ice off tree limbs, cutting trees and packing trails this past weekend (including packing a swamp off the 17 trail)...and there are still some rough areas out there....many of the lakes are NOT safe, and lots of slush on Nokomis (which always spooks the crap out of me)..not sure when some of these lakes will be marked...it varies from lake to lake. ..the snow base on the trails ranges from 2 to 6 inches...more to the North and West of Tomahawk...less to the south and east in Oneida County..we'll have to watch the current storm closely, and I'll post updates this weekend...but keep in mind high winds could do even more damage.

attakman

BTW...I've never seen Oneida open before Vilas (Vilas is NOT open at the time of this writing) in my 30 plus years of living up here

To be honest, I'm surprised anything is opening before the weekend with this storm coming. I was also brushing for our club last weekend and it was a disaster with all of the overhanging limbs, ice, trees down, etc. Would almost think clubs would want to wait to see what other damage comes first and evaluate opening after. As much as I want to ride, there's still some precautions that could be made. Once open, it's even harder to find people willing to do the work. Not to mention, hard to brush trails when you got sleds coming down the trail.:oops:

thugboy

It pretty much don't matter with the predicted substantial warm up starting next Wednesday trails will be toast by the weekend for sure

attakman

Such a shame...if we get that rain at the end of the week...it will ruin the trails...we finally have a decent base, to open a season, ..it's a bit slushy on the lakes...but we were hoping to get some of them marked..honestly the trails are beautiful right now...the best they have been in December in a long time...better ride while you can..if you wait until new years weekend...you might be SOL

pclark

WORTH THE DRIVE UP? MONDAY AM
Not supposed get above freezing until Thursday so I would think you would have good trails. We won't be home until Monday evening so I can't say for sure but we had a lot of snow when we left.

THINK WE ARE GOING FOR IT AS LONG AS WE CAN, Beat the upcoming weather, LIKE YOU SAID BY THE WEEKEND MAY HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN UNTIL Ma NATURE COOPERATES ONCE AGAIN. As always thanks for your info.

pclark

THINK WE ARE GOING FOR IT AS LONG AS WE CAN, Beat the upcoming weather, LIKE YOU SAID BY THE WEEKEND MAY HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN UNTIL Ma NATURE COOPERATES ONCE AGAIN. As always thanks for your info.
Came through Minocqua around 4:30pm and the trails looked great from the road, lots of sleds out. Trails nice all the way up HWY 51 and lots of sleds in Manitowish Waters. We came back to another 6" of new snow that fell on Saturday. This out in front of our cabin after shoeveling, Plenty of snow!
1672101759432.png

Mon. 12/26/22Unloaded early afternoon rode to Harrison hills and lake Alice a quick 65 plenty of snow as you said if they groom tonight tomorrow will be awesome no plan for the day yet but probably north bound, many sleds out and 39 had many trailers heading north yesterday as we drove up. Tuesday went as far north as Minocqua and then be bopped around the, area trails were good and the railroad grade was super. So glad we went for it, this am trails were groomed and so sweet not as many riders today as yesterday a quick ride this am before heading home. Great weekend, Once again looked like many sledders heading north bound today as we headed back south, total two-day miles 204 with many more smiles! Thanks to all the area clubs for doing such an awesome job on the trails, You all rock.

Last edited:

attakman

Clubs have been out panning trails, and most of the area lakes in the Tomahawk area are now marked (Nokomis, Alice)...they will be marking Mohawksin, and Spirit, hopefully this week...trails are soft with the warm temps, and there is very heavy traffic...trails are taking a beating, but seem to be holding up well...we have a decent base...hopefully we don't get much rain in the next 7 days, and get a few inches of snow to freshen things up...because it's pretty nice out there....the best ive seen it in late December in years

attakman

*****UPDATE*** Lake Mohawksin is NOT being marked at this time...there are areas that are not safe..we'll re check the ice after this warm spell passes

SHOOT2KILL

*****UPDATE*** Lake Mohawksin is NOT being marked at this time...there are areas that are not safe..we'll re check the ice after this warm spell passes
When I crossed the bridge tuesday a.m. there was 1 single track all the way across the lake heading west right at the north edge of the bridge...