Options for DSL connections in the Keweenaw?

timberledge

John,

In that you run a great web site at a rural site I was hoping you could provide advice on the best options for getting an internet connection in rural Keweenaw County. We live about 2 miles northeast of Gay on Gay-LacLabelle Road; too far away for connecting to the Pasty.Net hot spot in Gay. It appears that you might be using the Hughes satellite. Are there any other options other than dial-up? We do have a land line phone.

Thanks!

Rob

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rob-

I do use HughesNet for my internet and am satisfied with it. I would love to go to cable, but Charter does not want to run a line to me, even though I said I would pay for all costs- go figure!

Anyway, satellite is WAY better than dial up, but not as good as cable or DSL. It is probably comparable to Pasty's wireless setup, although I do not know the exact numbers for them.

Service interruptions have been pretty minimal, but they do happen, especially with stronger thunderstorms in the summer. I also have to clear snow from the dish from time to time, probably half dozen times a winter.

So satellite is not the best there is, but as you know when you move to the sticks, sometimes you have to take what you can get in the form of creature comforts! I would imagine satellite is your only real option at this point. Maybe someday our cell towers will get an upgrade and we will have 3 or 4G service, but I am not sure if you pick up any towers out that way.

-John

radsrh

I am about 2 miles north of you and can get a nice signal both at camp and even better at the road. I have ATT and can text and hook up with the internet but like John says unless they would upgrade to a 3G or 4G tower it still is not the fastest thing in the world.

hens

Wireless range

It is possible to pick up hot spots from long distances (such as 2 miles). You will probably need some gear at your house, such as a external antenna, and a signal booster, and probably an internal antenna also.

Most of this stuff runs in the normal 2.4 Ghz range and you can buy gear to do this.

You'll probably need line of sight (I know that's hard in the woods for 2 miles) , but you may want to check it out. It might be a good idea to find a local resource to help you (read some who knows something about wireless access i.e a network engineer.)

You may have some of the same issues as satellite too, ie weather or humidity interfering with the signal.

hens

D

Deleted member 10829

Free equipment

timberledge,

I used Hughesnet until I was able to get dsl a little over a year ago. I have the dish and everything you need if interested. I would give it to you free if you could figure out a way to get it to you. I'm in Spooner, WI.

Mark