Outdoor camera

hemi_newman

I have a neighbor and she is looking for a outdoor camera to put by her door so she can see who’s at her door without answering the door. I looked at Simplysafe and looks like you have to buy a bunch of garbage and looks like you have to have a monthly subscription. You cannot just buy the camera. Anyone have any ideas? She does have a smartphone. Wireless would be great also.

Ring. just find out if current wired doorbell in place and working with basic indoor chime ding dong or play melody. Depending upon on those results will help with correct ring doorbell version. Must have landline internet 2/3 upload speed. If using battery ring video 3 doorbell except slow audio and video response if use like intercom, video recordings will be fine for reviewing from app at later time.

heckler56

A buddy I know has cameras from WYSE. No need for subscription, relatively cheap, notifies you and captures and tracks objects (including shooting stars). I do believe these are battery operated with a option to wire some. My system is hard wired and very old so no help there.

srt20

I have 3 Blink cameras. One by front door, one by back door, and an interior camera. All in for under $200. No subscription, though you can for their cloud storage (or use a sd card for storage, which is what I do). Can talk 2 way through cameras, has night vision. Can access cameras from anywhere in world you have internet.

If you live in a shady area, a security company like ADT might be better. But for just keeping an eye on things, cameras like Blink or Ring might be a better option.

Blink is owned by Amazon, just fyi. It doesnt bother me, but some it does. IDK who owns Ring.

EDIT, My outdoor camera are wireless. 2 aa batteries with a supposed life of 2 years. We've had probably close to 2 years and haven't changed batteries yet.

mrbb

Harbor freight sells a cheap 2 camera set up, its NOT wireless, but it is plug and play

I have one I set up about 10 yrs ago, and its still working just fine
NOT the best Nigh vision on it, but a simple solar light added to area works for me to help solve that issue
but for the 50 bucks it costs me, back then, and its now only 59.99 LOL
its been worth the $$, and its a LIVE VIEW ONLY deal, NO recorder, so keep that in mind!
its nothing special, but it is a cheap option no monthly plan
I would have to think there are a bunch of other like cheap set up on Amazon too, and for a few bucks more, I gather can be had with better night vision if needed or anted and have some recording memory to boot, if she wanted to spend a little more $$

https://www.harborfreight.com/home/...-security-system-with-night-vision-63129.html

Ring is bout $3.00 a month for cloud storage for video clips if you choose to keep them for 30 days. Without monthly fee Ring will still work for live view and motion alerts, just no video history be kept.