Outdoor furnace

snowmaker

Hey I had the chance to ride with you and Dave and the guys about two years ago I was apart of the three renegade guys from Minnesota. Anyhow I noticed the outdoor furnace in the Journal and was wondering which one you decided to go with and why. When you get time I know your busy. Thanks !!!

A

admin

It is the Classic from Central Boiler. I did quite a bit of research, including asking those that had outdoor wood boilers and the answer seemed to be pretty unamious that the units from Central Boiler are the best.

I have not had any experience with other brands, but will vouch for this brand. This is a very well made piece of equipment. Very well engineered to make heat when it needs to and then just barely smolder, so you use as little wood as possible.

Would reccommend them to anyone looking for one.

-John

Below is written by a state boiler inspector in MI. I used to work with Jim and know his craftsmanship in metal working.

> 1. Privately Made - Carson City Machine, Carson City, MI -
> Jim sells locally and has designed a round firebox inside of
a round water jacket boiler. His effieciency for an outdoor boiler
appears to be the best we've found for the buck. He has built just
over 110 boilers the past three years with zero returns. He is a
retired machine and tool engineer with years of farming experience.
>
> His stoves look internally similar to a Wood Master boiler, but
with a larger firebox and firebox opening. His water jacket holds 130
gallons of water which heats his 2500 sq. ft. home and 1500 sq. ft.
shop. Jim does not advertise and is currently back ordered.
>
> He charges $4,000 for his unit... and only makes this one size.
He estimates over 300,000 BTU but has no offical calibration. We were
really impressed by his stove, his knowledge, his workmanship, and his
experience.
>
> If you're in the Michigan area and would like more information,
give Jim a call:
> Jim Wymer 989-235-5050

link to where this was posted http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woodheat/message/9827

snowmaker

Thanks for the info I have someone coming out to give me an estimate. One other question did you finish any of the installation yourself or would you have after seeing the installation. Thanks again!!!

weatherjan

I just purchased a chimney liner from Rockford Chimney Supplies. An outdoor furnace would probably be the best choice, however,I do like the radiant heat/visible coals and flames provided by the woodstove. Anyway, I noticed my flue is cracked and the current plan is to buy and install a stainless steel chimney liner. Is there anyone on these boards that could share their installation experiences?

Thank you,
Jan S.
Oneida, NY

A

admin

snowmaker-

I had the installation done by professionals, but if you are confident in your plumbing abilities, then it is something you could probably do yourself. Central Boiler does provide some info on typical setups. You just need to know the final details of how to bring it all together.

-John

weatherjan

John,

Thanks for you input. I certainly will take your suggestions under advisement. My wife would totally agree that a professional should install it. It is sometimes better to just do what they (ladies) want and then avoid these words "I told you to get someone to do it".

Jan S
Oneida, NY