Over 500 Miles Below Zero

skiroule

When I was at the vintage show in East Grand Forks a week ago, Bearrassler and I were talking about the Winnipeg/St. Paul race and the old films that were made about that race. He mentioned that he had helped the film crew during the making of one of these films, which was titled: “Over 500 Miles Below Zero.

I did some digging and sure enough, I found a digitized version of the film on YouTube. One of the sponsors of the film was Viking Snowmobiles, which I guess explains Bearrassler’s involvement, as he had a connection to the company.

This film about the 1972 race does an amazing job of capturing the experience and just how different things were 50+ years ago. It runs about 24 minutes so it might be a little long unless you’re really interested in vintage sledding, but if you are, I encourage you to pull it up on your laptop and watch it to the end. it tells a great story.

1972 Winnipeg/St. Paul Race Film

Last edited:

MKW

Very cool..thanks for the share. They can’t even do that race anymore with these pathetic winters. Now they run around a 1 mile oval for 500 laps (boring).
So neat to see actual winter like it was when I was a kid..those days might be gone for good the way it’s going.

xcr440

Very cool..thanks for the share. They can’t even do that race anymore with these pathetic winters. Now they run around a 1 mile oval for 500 laps (boring).
So neat to see actual winter like it was when I was a kid..those days might be gone for good the way it’s going.
They could have ran it last year. There was plenty of snow all the way. My how one top-3 all time crap winter makes everyone forget less than 12 months ago.

Nice video for sure! Without all the latest and greatest gear we have today.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get a sore back just watching that... and how the heck did Forrest Tucker fit in?​

Imagine all the organization it took crossing numerous public and private lands, let alone an International Border. Staffing, medical, did I see a helicopter in one shot? Quite an undertaking, probably couldn't happen in today's world.

mezz

Nice! I was 11 at the time and didn't know of events like this, but, did know & dreamt of snowmobiles and have been intrigued with them since. That clip brought back so many memories. Very cool, thanks for that. I miss the simpler times.

euphoric1

Always wanted to do that race, but Ugggg, not with that suspension, lol.
Not with that suspension or that gear LOL yikes!!! "still in the race despite doctors advice to quit" LOL!!! Thank god for product innovation and improvements!! awesome video! Thanks skiroule!!

mezz

I get a sore back just watching that... and how the heck did Forrest Tucker fit in?​

Imagine all the organization it took crossing numerous public and private lands, let alone an International Border. Staffing, medical, did I see a helicopter in one shot? Quite an undertaking, probably couldn't happen in today's world.
Forrest Tucker, anybody remember a TV show called Gunsmoke? How about F Troop? I use to watch those reruns as a kid. Got to hand to him for making a 500 mile trip on a sled & having no experience as he had never been on one before.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, he was on quite a few westerns. I'm thinking he was a paid participant to bring some publicity and star power to the race. Heck of an introduction to the sport!

Some background on Dorothy Mercer, the female racer that year.
Click on this link.

skiroule

Had to watch this again last night. Seems like I see something new each time I watch it.

It’s remarkable how many sled brands competed in this race. In addition to the big three, different scenes in the film showed sleds from Rupp, Moto Ski, Scorpion, John Deere, Brut, Yamaha, Chaparral, Viking, Raider, and some I couldn’t identify. No doubt there were others. Can’t imagine the beating the back would take in that Raider.

Most of those that entered probably had some idea of how tough this race would be but I’ll bet the reality really set in after the first 100 miles or so. Bitter cold, little or no windshield, no handwarmers, no suspension, and rock-hard drifts. Even so, there had to be a tremendous sense of adventure to be able to compete in this race.

hybrid

Had to watch this again last night. Seems like I see something new each time I watch it.

It’s remarkable how many sled brands competed in this race. In addition to the big three, different scenes in the film showed sleds from Rupp, Moto Ski, Scorpion, John Deere, Brut, Yamaha, Chaparral, Viking, Raider, and some I couldn’t identify. No doubt there were others. Can’t imagine the beating the back would take in that Raider.

Most of those that entered probably had some idea of how tough this race would be but I’ll bet the reality really set in after the first 100 miles or so. Bitter cold, little or no windshield, no handwarmers, no suspension, and rock-hard drifts. Even so, there had to be a tremendous sense of adventure to be able to compete in this race.
yes there we a ton of manufacturers back then
Johnson evinrude and mercury were building sleds then too
so thats a dozen rite there