overheating issues

smitty440

I've got a 06 xfire. I had a some overheating issues a few times last year. Would ice scratchers help with this problem?
It only happened when we were running on trails or roads with low snow. It just stunk because I would have to stop every so often and throw snow on top of the tunnel and wait a few minutes for it to cool down.
Thanks for any help

Pete

whitedust

Try to get into the snow whenever you can dip in & out. This is just habit riding for me with any sled. Scratchers throw everything into your rear skid anything in the road gets thrown back rocks, branches, twigs whatever. There is a type scratcher that can be thrown up for reverse use another PIA to deal with. Yes scratchers might help but also brings other problems when used. Try them you can always take them off. My Attak has thrown a hot light once or twice a season seems to happen when the snow is hardpak, very dry & it is very cold out & the exchangers are dry so I have also thrown snow on my footwells when I can't find deeper snow. I can have a rear exchanger added but have not since the problem pisses me off but not severe enough to throw money at it. Look into addtional cooling as the real solution.

thebreeze

Scratchers would be a cheap, easy way to remedy your problem. You don't have to run with them down all of the time, but when the sled starts getting hot, drop them, and away you go. The crossfire's do not need any additional cooling, as they already come standard with the larger rear heat exchanger.

The downside that was already mentioned when using them in low snow situations, and on the roads is they end up throwing the rocks, dirt, mud along with the snow into the skid.

Last edited:

anonomoose

I agree with dusty on this one. There is nothing more frustrating than to have to sit around because your sled got too hot. The answer here is to add more heat exchanger...Usually not that hard to do, keep the sled running cooler even when you don't need it...stops your boots from melting...and keeps you viable for more miles.

I added a rear heat exchanger on my RX-1 a few years ago, and it ended the problem for good. It was not that hard to do, but did cost me a couple hundred bucks. I also put a temp gauge on the sled so I could see what was going on, and not simply guess about the temps with an idiot light.

Once you put a temp gauge on it, you develop a learning curve very quickly...and that improves your odds of not seeing the dreaded HOT LIGHT...going off because you can take pre-emptive actions.

smitty440

Thanks for the replies. I just looked at my sled to see if it was an early or late build. Not sure which one, the lettering on the sticker has been rubbed off. The early builds had a smaller heat exchanger and the late builds had a bigger one. Anybody know of another place on the machine to look to see when it was built?

ezra

my guess is it is a EB the exchanger on a EB was about 1ft long on a LB it was 17in or better clutching was also diff on the eb cant remember off the top of my head what the eb was but I think the lb was a 60%helix take a pick of your exchanger I could tell you.if eb buy a used exchanger you will be fine.or run the scratches prob more ez.I had a lb with a 2in and never had overheat issues Even on icy hard pack running wfo for miles.
now that I think about it the eb had a funky plastic shelf thing under the heat exchanger buy flap connection that caused a ice shelf so the build up could not slid down and out just makes a cave